The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

DC Gear Motor running at 150 RPM with variable speed. No pulleys, just direct drive thru a coupling.

"Billy G"

Bill,
Hope you don't mind all the questions.
What is the stroke on die filers, Ive a reason for asking of course.

Ken

I already answered that one in post #129.

"Billy G"

I was asking about the "stroke" not SPM, the question was answered from your prints.

Thanks
Ken

Strokes are all different also Ken. Anywhere from .750 up, mine is 2 inches. Sorry about my mistake.

"Billy G"

102_0963 (900 x 598).jpg 303 SS to the rescue. Had an unpolished piece in the Scrap Bin. The "Yoke" is no bullet proof. I am a little out of sorts right now. I may or may not get more done today.

"Billy G"

102_0964 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0965 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0966 (800 x 531).jpg With Sophies' pending operation I was having bad thoughts so I turned to the shop.

Got the spindle body done and one bearing in.

"Billy G"

102_0967 (900 x 598).jpg Thank you Ken;

I had a few minutes to kill so I did this in the shop. For you new guys it's called "Engine Turning. For the most part it is done wrong. Abrasives are used to make the swirls. This removes a minute amount of surface material and is almost etched into the surface. The correct way is to use only oil and a semi-hard flat circular tool. This burnishes the surface. If you run your finger across the surface you will feel nothing but the flat surface itself. I haven't done this in years but wish to do the Table before Hard Anodize. This cannot be done in a short amount of time and must be completed in one sitting. Yes, I will show you how it's done correctly.

"Billy G"

102_0968 (900 x 598).jpg That first try is like a ghost pattern, very faint. I played with it last night and came up with a much better one. I am using a 1 inch diameter birch dowel. The hardest part of Engine Turning is the centers. They need to almost fade into the rest of the circle but still be somewhat pronounced. I have some time this afternoon and will make up the table story board.

Actually the hardest part is knowing you only have one shot at it. You can't go back and properly fix any mistakes. They are there permanently.

"Billy G"

Back