The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

Got to leave you guys. The party starts at 1:00 PM. I have to get ready.

This is 4 completed rows. Looking good so far. Not the best I have done but OK.

"Billy G"

102_0972 (900 x 598).jpg

Wow, I need to try that. That's purdy!!

Billy,
When you have some time (I know you have a lot going on right now) Could you explain to me was engine turning originally done for a practical purpose like lapping a large surface. or just decorative finish? If for practical use what would some of the early uses have been? Just curious about this art.
Mark

PS: I think the mug is cool.

That's a tall question to answer Mark. In the beginning it is to my understanding that Engine Turning was the Craftsmens signature. It served to tell who did the work, especially in watchmaking. Now it is a little known art used for decoration. At one time the swirls were thought to help in lubrication. This is a myth because when done correctly the surface is only6 burnished. Today it is cheated with abrasives. This began when they started using lapping compound to speed the process. Look up "Rose Engines, you will be pleasantly surprised.

"Billy G"

Thanks Billy, I was on my way to bed But I will look up ROSE engines in the morn. thanks again. And that does look to be an art for very nice looking to. I read about it in one of the books I read on machining. If I recall they lapping compound or some abrasive.
Happy Easter.
Mark

102_0973 (900 x 598).jpg Arriving at the center it gets a little tricky. The dowel wants to wander. Patience is the only hope for success.

"Billy G"

Bill- that is masterful! What great look. On aluminum, how much harder does this process make the surface? Will it be significantly scratch resistant?
R

Hard Anodize does not harden the surface as in "Hardening". It does however make the surface more resilient and slippery. Depending on how deep the anodizing goes will tell scratch resistance. I am told by the shop doing it for me that .040 will make it just the way I want. Time will tell.

"Billy G"

Billy, It is coming along very nice! If I was to try this on a smaller piece using a smaller dowel Is there a formula for X,Y,O. or is it just a matter of covering all surface without covering the center of the swirl? I do want to at least play with this when the Dr. says I can use my arm again. Also I guess I should ask how much pressure on the dowel? and what type of oil? Wish I was close enough to come by and see the artist at work.

Yes I did Look up the Rose Engines You were right. Very awesome machines. I am so amazed at what man has been able to achieve in the making of machines. CNC and robotics are great but I still just love seeing a machine with moving parts like gears and cams.

In my search I also saw a machine Called a Bordering Machine Cool machines.

Thanks again for sharing this with us,
Mark

Back