The Hunley, or pidjones needed a first retirement project

November now and we have had the Hunley in nearby (~Summer. There is an indoor show today and a show next Saturday at the church we attend in Powell, TN. After that I think she will be winterized by running the carbs dry, draining the bowls completely, and topping off the tank with Stabil treated 100% gasoline.

So far this year, she has accumulated ten trophies, and five plaques. Some were admittedly "participation" awards as she was one of very few bikes at some shows and at one show they gave "Top 75" with less than 150 entered. Most proud of 2nd place in a show put on by local dealer and our vintage MC club. Also the "F'n" Bomb trophy at a big show in Upper East TN.
Sorry for the nonsense 1st paragraph. Should read ......in nearby (~less than100 miles)shows all Summer. ----I guess it interpreted my less than sign.
BTW, 1st place modified bike today.

NEVER USE RTV IN AN ENGINE! Today I pulled the right head and found the head ruined and the cam broken in half. Some PO had used red RTV to stick the valve cover gaskets in place. I thought that I'd cleaned it all up, but it appears a small booger of it found its way to the right head oil control orifice, blocking all oil flow to the right head and cam bearings. The little things can still bite you hard.
12c58a076c852baefeecbd25dfdb8e4d.jpg
69021760a9fd2009cad19618a103e7bf.jpg

Replacement head and cam from eBay installed with valves, springs, keepers, and seals from the old head (only had ~600 miles on them). All buttoned up except right cam belt. UPS wants an "adult signature" for it? So, waiting for the big brown truck before it can be finished up.

IT'S ALIVE!!! The other belt was finally delivered and in about 1/2 hour I had it all assembled, adjusted, rolled outside and started. Roads are too wet for a test ride, but maybe this afternoon they will have dried off.

Have put a couple 40+ mile rides on her since the head replacement. Seems to be running great. Fuel economy could be better, but I'm really not wanting to mess with carbs now. Plugs look good and compression is good so I'll check for a brake drag (doesn't take much to kill mileage). Time to put the little IR thermometer in my riding jacket pocket!

She's a covergirl! a friend is in charge of the new release of Tennessee Thunder Roads magazine for its new owner, Garza Law. She asked me to have the Hunley as one of the five bikes on the cover for their new release issue. The five bikes are to represent a broad spectrum of rides and riders. From Harper - our 8 year-old female dirt bike rider, to me at 69 years and with a '78 GoldWing cafe racer. We also have a lady on her 2020 Triumph, the parts manager at Bootlegger HD (on his HD) and a stunt biker with his Kaw. If you are in the Tennessee/Kentucky area, stop by your local motorcycle business and pick one up. For the rest, I guess you can view it from this site: Thunder Roads TN/KY

Back