The Hunley, or pidjones needed a first retirement project

Much better looking then it ever was originally.

Shaking off the winter blues by showing the Hunley at the Knoxville Cabin Fever show this weekend.
c84fbef21bb9fe8f6cee32776a89dd72.jpg

November now and we have had the Hunley in nearby (~Summer. There is an indoor show today and a show next Saturday at the church we attend in Powell, TN. After that I think she will be winterized by running the carbs dry, draining the bowls completely, and topping off the tank with Stabil treated 100% gasoline.

So far this year, she has accumulated ten trophies, and five plaques. Some were admittedly "participation" awards as she was one of very few bikes at some shows and at one show they gave "Top 75" with less than 150 entered. Most proud of 2nd place in a show put on by local dealer and our vintage MC club. Also the "F'n" Bomb trophy at a big show in Upper East TN.

Very cool to get those trophys! It's a great looking wing. I love the color combo on the bike with the green and tan. Putting the bike up at the end of the season always sucks. Putting mine up and the battery died on the last ride. Only got 2 years out of this battery and it's always plugged into a tender.

I'll start this thread now and fill in over time. In 2013 I bought a Honda GoldWing GL1000. The PO thought it was a '78, but it turned out to be a '78 frame with a '75 engine. Since that could not be restored, I decided to customize it into a cafe style. I worked at it for about a year, then life got in the way until I retired (officially laid off with 6 month's severance pay) at the end of September 2017. After cleaning the garage up enough to get room to work on it, I restarted the project. It is now rideable (well, right now the wheels are off for new tires) with only improvements to go. I have shown it twice and look forward to showing it many times next year.View attachment 273110
Looks like a nice Ford in the background. '62?

Regards,
Terry

Looks like a nice Ford in the background. '62?

Regards,
Terry
Or maybe a '57. We had a '57 Ranchwagon with sharp fins and tail lights like that.

Looks like a 61' Starliner. great work on the scooters. Mike

Looks like a 61' Starliner. great work on the scooters. Mike
Judging from your avatar, I'd say you're the ranking expert on this one. It'll be curious to find out what it actually is.

Regards,
Terry

I believe it was a Starliner that the owner had converted to fuel injected. I remember that he was an attorney, I think from Russell Springs, KY.

Reactions: tjb
Back