The Infamous 4x6 Bandsaw square cut...

BenG

Registered
Registered
Ok, so I picked up an older 4x6 bandsaw recently. I've since been trying to get it to cut square vertically for the past couple of weeks.

The issue is it does not seem to cut consistently. I've been cutting wood for testing as recommended by John Pitkin and one cut will be semi-straight, then without adjusting anything, the next cut will be totally different. Sometimes it will even wander through the cut making a curved cut...

Things I have done:
-I've read through the write up about checking the swing/drop for square to table and that seems good.

-I put a brand new 10/14 blade on it.

-Squared up the vice, cuts laser square horizontally.

-Tensioned the blade properly (as tight as I can get it with one hand)

-This one has the adjustable bearing guides so I've
-Adjusted the side guides so they are pretty snug but can still turn the bearings by hand as recommended by the write up by John Pitkin and others.
-Machined the bolt slot for more clearance for angular adjustment.
-Adjusted the twist of the upper and lower guides about 9 million times cutting a test piece every time.

I would appreciate any help, I know some people have great luck with these little saws.

Hi Ben: I have seen the same behavior with my saw, but much less since I replaced the spring tension device with a hydraulic downfeed. Too much downward force will cause the blade to wander more. Try adjusting the spring on yours to give less downward pressure. Lighter pressure and slower cutting usually gives a better result.
Also, some blades are ground slightly differently from one side to the other and have a small effect. I have found both Starrett and Morse blades are good.
Lastly, try different settings for the bearings that pinch and twist the blade. Sometimes a bit looser than you would think works better.
-Mark
ps Don't overtighten the blade. Pluck it while you tighten it- it should make a distinct musical note when it's in the right zone
You shouldn't need bone-crushing tension

Last edited:
I've since been trying to get it to cut square vertically for the past couple of weeks.
Squared up the vice, cuts laser square horizontally.
So if I understand by the above, when you have it set up vertical is doesn’t cut square? If it’s cutting perfect horizontal, it would seem it has to do with the table setup you are using for vertical doesn’t it?

Just to let you unfortunate folks who have given up there is a way to get the performance out of you saw, I have used mine right out of the box with no problems for 25 years.
Sorry, but I have no idea how or why.

Just to let you unfortunate folks who have given up there is a way to get the performance out of you saw, I have used mine right out of the box with no problems for 25 years.
Sorry, but I have no idea how or why.

I too have a saw that I have never had to adjust and always cuts perfectly with a good blade.

I would try another new blade and start over.

I think the OP's issue is in the horizontal mode, the cut is not perpendicular to the table, but cutting parallel to the blade is ok
Right Ben?

Hey guys, thanks for the help!

I'll try rechecking the tension for musical suitability. And also lighten up the down pressure. I have tried that a little even holding up the saw barely dropping it through the stock and seems still to wander/not be consistent.

Sorry, C-Bag, I could have written than clearer. When using it in the horizontal mode (so clamping stock in the vice and having the saw drop through it to cut), it cuts square to the vice, but as it drops through the stock, it will cut all catawampus.

Gonzo, I'll happily trade you saws!

The odd and frustrating thing is it just doesn't cut consistent. I guess I'll go back and start over taking the guides off and checking the blade alignment at the wheels and move from there. Any other sage advice?

Mount a square on the bed in front of the fixed jaw of the vise. Push it close to the blade. Raise and lower the saw.
Does the blade track along the edge of the square. Good first step, at least they machined the hinge holes parallel with the bed. Does not track the square, return the saw its defective and nothing you do will fix it.

How close to straight is good? My 30 year old Taiwanese Delta is inconsistent based on my setup. I like to remove the guides to set the tracking and then don't set the bearings any tighter that lightly touching. Friday a cut off a 3.5” aluminum round and when i put it in the lathe to face it, i had to take 20 or 30 thou. to true it up. I have a 6tpi “die-master” on it. I have seen it better and worse. Thats good enough for me so i don’t mess with it further. I would like to make a conversion to hydraulic down feed.

Well Asm109 called it. I had checked this before but guess I did a defective check.

When putting a square on the table, flush a the bottom of travel, move the saw up to the top of the 5.5" square results in about a .090" gap... So much for this saw I guess!

20210502_204330.jpg
20210502_204346.jpg

Back