The last I saw of that spring

HourhandSam

Registered
Registered
Greetings, I have a movement in the shop (Urgos) that uses a compression spring on the main wheel. While attempting to remove the actuating cam on the front side of the plate the brass retainer slipped off of the bottom of the wheel and the last I saw of the compression spring was out of the corner of my eye as it flew thru the air with the greatest of ease. I've looked for that spring for 2 days now and have decided I need to stop wasting my time and solve the problem. The spring in question was approx .375 X .375. Does anyone have an idea on how to make this spring or replace it with something that will do the trick. I have no junk Urgos movements to steal from so I need some ideas. Thanks for your help. Cheers Sam

Maybe your local Ace Hardware? My local store has a pretty good spring assortment.

Sam---do a rough drawing of the measurements of the spring and the wire size---and I can find and send you one----I have thousands of springs and very good assortments---Dave

Greetings, I have a movement in the shop (Urgos) that uses a compression spring on the main wheel. While attempting to remove the actuating cam on the front side of the plate the brass retainer slipped off of the bottom of the wheel and the last I saw of the compression spring was out of the corner of my eye as it flew thru the air with the greatest of ease. I've looked for that spring for 2 days now and have decided I need to stop wasting my time and solve the problem. The spring in question was approx .375 X .375. Does anyone have an idea on how to make this spring or replace it with something that will do the trick. I have no junk Urgos movements to steal from so I need some ideas. Thanks for your help. Cheers Sam

We have that problem taking the small c type springs out of the pistons to get the wrist pin out of model airplane engines. If you can find one capable of holding your movement us a plastic bag. Put the movement inside and anything that flies off stays in the bag. I get my bags at the local dry cleaners. They are crystal clear. Just a thought for next time.

"Billy G"

Maybe your local Ace Hardware? My local store has a pretty good spring assortment.
If only I were that lucky, I had to explain the difference between extension and compression springs to the manager. Cheers Sam

We have that problem taking the small c type springs out of the pistons to get the wrist pin out of model airplane engines. If you can find one capable of holding your movement us a plastic bag. Put the movement inside and anything that flies off stays in the bag. I get my bags at the local dry cleaners. They are crystal clear. Just a thought for next time.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I wish I had thought of that before I tried to remove the cam. I WILL use that idea in the future. Cheers Sam

Sam---do a rough drawing of the measurements of the spring and the wire size---and I can find and send you one----I have thousands of springs and very good assortments---Dave

Dave, thanks for the offer. I'll take some pictures and measurements and get back to you. If I try and draw something it will be unrecognizable. Cheers Sam

Dave, thanks for the offer. I'll take some pictures and measurements and get back to you. If I try and draw something it will be unrecognizable. Cheers Sam

Sam---if you can just give the od --the approx expanded length and the approx needed compressed measurement.---for instance I have one 3/8" od x.45 expanded length x .082 compressed length and the wire size is .011-------I dropped it three times measuring it but found it each time----I use a magnet and can find them stuck to it after scanning the floor in a sweeping motion----anyway try and guess some measurements that are close--unless you have the actual specs-----------Dave

Back