The last I saw of that spring

Sam, I got one of those magnets that has a three foot handle that when you pull on the lever, it will release the metal. Not always but I have found many a screw, nut, whatever that way. That magnet sure is handy. Mark

I use an old speaker magnet fixed onto the end of an old broomstick. It seems the older I get and the smaller the part, the more useful that magnet becomes.

I dropped all 25 bearings from an Albrecht chuck on my garage floor, not once but 4 separate times! Found every single one of those little buggers with that magnet and if you saw my garage you would know what a miracle that was.

You can get piano wire at hobby stores then use a screw with the right diameter and pitch to wind a new one drill a hole through the screw to hold the wire then wind the wire into the threads. It will spring open some so it may take a few try's to get the right size.

Sam---if you can just give the od --the approx expanded length and the approx needed compressed measurement.---for instance I have one 3/8" od x.45 expanded length x .082 compressed length and the wire size is .011-------I dropped it three times measuring it but found it each time----I use a magnet and can find them stuck to it after scanning the floor in a sweeping motion----anyway try and guess some measurements that are close--unless you have the actual specs-----------Dave

Dave, I've done some measurements and can give you the following:
arbor diameter.079-- so I'll need something with a larger diameter. My original post of .375 was way off of the mark.
approx OD .158, that's the OD of the disk that retains one end of the spring. If you can't find anything that small I can always make a larger retaining disk, within limits. The clock is pretty crowded right there.
length: .5 inches max, .4 inches min. .4 puts me to the end of the arbor and then I have to add the thickness of the retainer and brass bushing that holds the spring in place so that will give me compression, hopefully not too much or too little, just like the 3 bears.
wire gauge: approx 72, most likely anything with a diameter of .020-.025 will do nicely.

I have worn out both of my shoulders swinging my magnet attempting to find that darn thing. My shop has too many nooks and crannies and I'm sure I'll come across it sometime in the future. In the mean time I've now ruined a pair of pants at the knees from crawling around on cement. Oh well, they were almost as old as I am. Cheeahs(That's with a Maine accent)

Try McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com they have a huge spring selection.
You're not wrong there. If Dave can't find something for me I'll give them a close look. If I can't find something there I'd be very surprised. For some reason I never think of them. I will no longer deal with Enco and have moved to dealing with the smaller vendors for my machining needs. The smaller vendors don't carry those little items like fasteners, springs, etc. I'll have to rethink my buying habits. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers

You can get piano wire at hobby stores then use a screw with the right diameter and pitch to wind a new one drill a hole through the screw to hold the wire then wind the wire into the threads. It will spring open some so it may take a few try's to get the right size.

Great thought! I'd have to get the piano wire on line as the only hobby store around is Hobby Lobby and they have everything the ladies require for their crafts but so far I've found nothing that will help me. I've been surprised not to be able to find hobby shops in north central Maine. You'd think they'd be popular due to the long winter but snowmobiles, hockey, ice fishing, skiing and drinking occupy a lot of the male population. Cheers

I repair clocks and when I need to make steel springs I use music wire from my local music shop. I just go through their assortment of guitar strings. A single string here is around $1.25.

David

It seems hobby shops are becoming endangered there used to be a few I used by me and there's only one left. Possibly the internets killing them off. You can also use single strand stainless steel fishing leader material. That may be harder to find though.

Sam---PM me your address and Ill send some small springs that should work ok---a few sizes.---you can always cut if you find one that is too long----Dave----- **I can get them in the mail tonight if I get your address soon

Back