[4]

The Lathe on the Grassy Knoll

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 43583

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thanks for posting and yes, it is quite entertaining. Notice the seller is brand new to ebay, think he or she might be a scammer?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
you would think something with that historical significance would be in a museum or destroyed due to liability

kvt

Active User
There is one piece on the last pic I have not idea what is. But yea, that would be in some historical place or locked up behind doors if it was truely useed by the FBI for what they say.

FOMOGO

Active User
For that price they should throw in a few of J. Edgar's evening gowns. :grin: Mike

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Well at $6000 these people obviously have set a new standard for pricing machine tools. Maybe they should strip all the chips they mention, off the machine and sell them individually - packaged in little tiny plastic bags - in the spirit of a true machinery dealer.

-G

aliva

Active User
I have some dirt from Israel were Jesus once walked. Maybe I should put than on flea Bay too

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Iam selling hot air from certain national known public officials. Actually after
Seeing numerous Adds On Craigslist For worn out tires and rotten useless, blown down tree limbs I once posted an add in the free section for “Free air”- Bring your own bag, electric blower provided at curbside for pickup.

Apparently the Tree limb people had no sense of humor . I got flagged almost immediately

richl

Active User
Registered
Not quite in the same league as this lathe, I did see a craigslist ad over a month ago advertising a south bend 9" lathe in excellent condition, they were asking 2-3k for it, but you had to remove all the stuff from there garage to get to it:encourage:, so they get a clean garage that you pay them to do:rolleyes:

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Only 8 hours left folks, get those bids in! LOL!

kvt

Active User
6 Hours left you could be the first bid.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
6 Hours left you could be the first bid.
Way overpriced but maybe for some museum I can see them getting 6K. Maybe 6K tax deduction if they donate it.

On a side note...Its a very nice Oak bench IMO.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
I wound up buying it, but for much less than the original asking price...

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Nice. You did good. Post up some pics when you get it in your shop.

dlane

Active User
$6.000 starting bid ? Don't matter what kinda grass it is

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I wound up buying it, but for much less than the original asking price...
Its a very nice lathe and the bench is just beautiful. I love that early 20th century oak furniture and benches. Also have a soft spot for those old oak card files we used to see in every damned government building and library. Sadly...just like old iron...most of them have been scrapped.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice! That bench is worth $2 grand by itself. The history behind the lathe is interested, too.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Thanks for the positive feedback so far. I will start setting up the lathe up tomorrow, will post some pictures soon.

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Eddyde, Have the Feds came round yet, to see your are not using the lathe to make little plastic models of J.Edgar Hoover ?

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
So far, I managed to get the lathe from Virginia to upstate New York in my Subaru Outback... had to cram stuff into the front as there wasn't any room left in the back. This combined with 700 miles of snacking on junk food created a rare Chips & Chips situation in the passenger seat....

IMG_2226.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 43583

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
700 miles, quite a trip!

Once you get it situated, post some photos for us.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Started some cleanup though it isn't very dirty, I don't want to remove too much of the patina either...
Overall the Lathe seems to have had very little use for being 82 years old, the gear teeth and lead screw threads are crisp, the ways have no discernible ridges, the half nuts have almost no play. The cross slide does have some backlash but not as much as my other lathes. Unfortunately, this is as far as I got with the project, have to get back to NYC for the rest of the work week, ugh... I will resume on the weekend.
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2243.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg
IMG_2247.jpg

D

Deleted member 43583

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Eddy, that's a beauty and does look "crisp" as you call it. The only thing it appears to need is a little washing in mineral spirits and WD40 and then a good greasing and oiling for use!

BTW, you definitely had your Outback full didn't you? That took some muscle to get that all poked in there I bet.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Update:
I finally got the lathe hooked up and running. Had little confusion figuring out the motor/drum switch connection but got that straightened out on another thread. I needed to put some leveling feet on the bench as my floor is fairly uneven concrete, I use carriage bolts as my standard method of doing this.
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg

Drill jig
IMG_2275.jpg

Had these square nuts already made, only had to drill and countersink the mounting holes.
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg

Easy peasy and super cheap!
IMG_2311.jpg

I was by myself so the HF shop crane really earned its keep!
IMG_2312.jpg

A sling around the cross web...
IMG_2313.jpg

... and it balanced perfectly.
IMG_2314.jpg

Both 2x42 were selected to be knot free and sound, the close one is butting on the drive belt opening the far one is pinned with a screw.
IMG_2315.jpg

it was a little dicey so I left it attached to the crane till it was on the bench.
IMG_2332.jpg

At last!
IMG_2461.jpg

First chips!
IMG_2462.jpg

I just used a tool that was in a holder that came with the lathe, it cut perfectly!
IMG_2466.jpg

Oh yeah there's that other lathe, now I have to figure out what to do with it...
IMG_2467.jpg

Had to lace a new belt too.

Thanks for stopping by,

Eddy

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Eddyde Really nice machine, for its age in a superb state, I am glad you have now got it working, As regards your other lathe, Why do you not just keep it? Another lathe is frequently handy, And it looks a nice machine as well

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Eddyde Really nice machine, for its age in a superb state, I am glad you have now got it working, As regards your other lathe, Why do you not just keep it? Another lathe is frequently handy, And it looks a nice machine as well
Thank You,
I also have a third SB lathe, although that one is in storage. I wish I had the space to keep em all... Also, I am shopping around for a 13"-15"gear head lathe, I simply need the room and these two lathes are too much alike.

FOMOGO

Active User
I would say, definitely worth the drive, and the cabinet really is a beauty. Mike

[6]
[5] [7]