The Lathe on the Grassy Knoll

So far, I managed to get the lathe from Virginia to upstate New York in my Subaru Outback... had to cram stuff into the front as there wasn't any room left in the back. This combined with 700 miles of snacking on junk food created a rare Chips & Chips situation in the passenger seat....

IMG_2226.jpg

Last edited:
700 miles, quite a trip!

Once you get it situated, post some photos for us.

Started some cleanup though it isn't very dirty, I don't want to remove too much of the patina either...
Overall the Lathe seems to have had very little use for being 82 years old, the gear teeth and lead screw threads are crisp, the ways have no discernible ridges, the half nuts have almost no play. The cross slide does have some backlash but not as much as my other lathes. Unfortunately, this is as far as I got with the project, have to get back to NYC for the rest of the work week, ugh... I will resume on the weekend.
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2243.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg
IMG_2247.jpg

Eddy, that's a beauty and does look "crisp" as you call it. The only thing it appears to need is a little washing in mineral spirits and WD40 and then a good greasing and oiling for use!

BTW, you definitely had your Outback full didn't you? That took some muscle to get that all poked in there I bet.

Update:
I finally got the lathe hooked up and running. Had little confusion figuring out the motor/drum switch connection but got that straightened out on another thread. I needed to put some leveling feet on the bench as my floor is fairly uneven concrete, I use carriage bolts as my standard method of doing this.
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg

Drill jig
IMG_2275.jpg

Had these square nuts already made, only had to drill and countersink the mounting holes.
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg

Easy peasy and super cheap!
IMG_2311.jpg

I was by myself so the HF shop crane really earned its keep!
IMG_2312.jpg

A sling around the cross web...
IMG_2313.jpg

... and it balanced perfectly.
IMG_2314.jpg

Both 2x42 were selected to be knot free and sound, the close one is butting on the drive belt opening the far one is pinned with a screw.
IMG_2315.jpg

it was a little dicey so I left it attached to the crane till it was on the bench.
IMG_2332.jpg

At last!
IMG_2461.jpg

First chips!
IMG_2462.jpg

I just used a tool that was in a holder that came with the lathe, it cut perfectly!
IMG_2466.jpg

Oh yeah there's that other lathe, now I have to figure out what to do with it...
IMG_2467.jpg

Had to lace a new belt too.

Thanks for stopping by,

Eddy

Eddyde Really nice machine, for its age in a superb state, I am glad you have now got it working, As regards your other lathe, Why do you not just keep it? Another lathe is frequently handy, And it looks a nice machine as well

Eddyde Really nice machine, for its age in a superb state, I am glad you have now got it working, As regards your other lathe, Why do you not just keep it? Another lathe is frequently handy, And it looks a nice machine as well
Thank You,
I also have a third SB lathe, although that one is in storage. I wish I had the space to keep em all... Also, I am shopping around for a 13"-15"gear head lathe, I simply need the room and these two lathes are too much alike.

I would say, definitely worth the drive, and the cabinet really is a beauty. Mike

Back