The lathe that took two tractors.

strantor

Active User
Registered
Today as part of my ongoing workshop cleanup plan (get stuff out of the workshop that doesn't need to be there and replace it with stuff that does) I moved my big lathe out of the garage and into the shop.

This lathe has been featured on this forum a few times, never as part of the restoration project it should have been, but that will change soon. I got it 10 years ago from @dfletch (10 y/o thread about that) with intent to fix it up, but never had time. I moved since then and brought it with me. That was quite an ordeal. It got unloaded into the garage, which turned into a storage facility, and that's where it stayed. A rather large cornerstone for an even larger pile of junk. But it's not junk, and it deserves a spot in the workshop. So I dug it out and put it in its rightful place. Now to get it cleaned up and running...

Nice. Tractors are very helpful beasts.

At least you didn't have to deal with something like this which popped up on FB today from the guy who bought the mill - it arrived at his shop, delivered by the LTL crew like this.

IMG_7062.jpeg

that's a write-off....

That can be sanded out and painted.....lol

Probably not that badly damaged.
Obviously wasn't prepared correctly.
That motor should have been upside down on the table.

My little Kubota 7510 has had its back wheels off the ground more than a few times . :grin: The surface grinder and the Lagun FTV-2 had my neighbors Bobcat skid loader's wheels off the ground also . 5 of us on the ashend were used as counterweights . :eek:

Nice. Tractors are very helpful beasts.
That they are. Mine was somewhat of an impulse purchase but I figured it would be impossible to regret owning a tractor. I'm still making payments on it, which is making buying a truck for my soon-to-be 16 y/o daughter more stressful than it needs to be, but hey, if she absolutely HAS to drive to school on her birthday, she knows how to drive the tractor.
At least you didn't have to deal with something like this which popped up on FB today from the guy who bought the mill - it arrived at his shop, delivered by the LTL crew like this.

View attachment 393753
That makes my soul cringe.

Last edited:
My little Kubota 7510 has had its back wheels off the ground more than a few times . :grin: The surface grinder and the Lagun FTV-2 had my neighbors Bobcat skid loader's wheels off the ground also . 5 of us on the ashend were used as counterweights . :eek:
I do NOT like feeling of the back wheels lifting. It doesn't look all that perilous from the sidelines but when you're on it it feels like a death threat.

My homebrew 3-pt concrete counterweight weighs about 2500lbs and with it attached 8ve only ever encountered 3 things that this brute outright refused to lift. This lathe was one. I don't know how much it weighs, but it's more than my wife's Mazda 5, because I lifted that before.

EDIT: I found out with my pallet jack last night, the COG is about where the chuck is. I was carrying probably 80% of the load. My neighbor's compact tractor carrying the remaining 20%, he had no rear ballast, and his wheels lifted off twice during the move.

Last edited:
I do NOT like feeling of the back wheels lifting. It doesn't look all that perilous from the sidelines but when you're on it it feels like a death threat.
I loaded a Johnson saw onto a trailer for one of our members here and flipped the tractor , at least it was a slow flip . The first time I used the post hole digger was another story . Didn't have my inching valve closed . That auger dug in and screwed itself into the ground without removing dirt . I was as$ over elbows in no time flat . My son got a big laugh out of it . :cussing:

I agree , I couldn't live without my tractor . :)

I loaded a Johnson saw onto a trailer for one of our members here and flipped the tractor , at least it was a slow flip . The first time I used the post hole digger was another story . Didn't have my inching valve closed . That auger dug in and screwed itself into the ground without removing dirt . I was as$ over elbows in no time flat . My son got a big laugh out of it . :cussing:

I agree , I couldn't live without my tractor . :)
Man, that's scary. It's easy to kill or maim yourself flipping a tractor. I didn't wear the seat belt for the first few months I owned mine because it felt silly wearing a seat belt going 17mph, but after seeing some tractor accidents on tractorbynet, I started using mine. Guys who wear their seat belts and use the ROPS usually don't get hurt. Those that don't, either walk away without a scratch or suffer life altering injury/death; a bit of a crap shoot. Doesn't matter how tough you are, nobody is tough enough to get crushed under a tractor and walk it off.

Back