The life of an old mill(K&T 2HL)

Came across some really cheap, used, aluminium sheet.
Without much thought I started chopping it up and practicing TIG-welding.
The idea was to make a coolant tank that could fit beneath the foot of the mill.
Somewhere in the process I completely forgot my goals and made it too big so it doesn't fit, and I don't feel inclined to chopping it up again. :confused:
Either way pretty simple construction, complicated by the beat-up sheet.
4 sides folded up, with 2 extra ledges for mounting the top to, and works as reinforcement.
IMG_4125.JPG

Cheap mains-power pumping unit, added some extra shape to this part because I had no piece big enough to span the entire width and figured I might as well experiment a bit.
The idea is that this part will just "sit there" and be easily removeable.
IMG_4160.JPG

Second plate covers the rest and gets nutrivets and bolts to stay on.
IMG_4167.JPG

Continuing with the "let's just get stuff done" mentality, I welded together a frame underneath to support the tub and tacked on some wheels.
Makes it easier to roll it out of the way after filling/checking/whatever.
IMG_4173.JPG

So "kinda done". It's too big compared to what I initially aimed for and because the pump inlet needs a clearance beneath it, I suspect I will need a ridicilous amount of fluid in it to keep the pump happy.
I'm not satisfied with it but I also dont' want to cut it apart. :hate:
So lesson learnt, make a plan and follow it, don't stray.
BUT I got a ton of TIG time, really managed to improve my skills and nail down some weird bugs in my welder.
It will definitely get used as a coolant tank for the mill in some shape or form, we'll see in some months I hope.
This is a bit of a practice spot, hence why there's so many different beads around it.
IMG_4162.JPG

Temporarily back on this project.
Chopped the tank up and re-bent all the edges, now fits somewhat neatly under the mill.
Tried annealing it this time by marking the aluminium with permanent marker pens before heating until it disappears, worked quite well!
To control this I have a 24V contactor for on/off of the pump which then goes to two valves.
Valve1 is electrically controlled so I can adjust the flow with a switch on the control panel.
Valve2 is a "regular" valve that recirculates back into the tank.
Not only does this make sure to mix the coolant but also makes sure I always have flow going by the pump, even when valve1 is throttled way down.
IMG_5779.JPGIMG_5778.JPG

Since this mill has been quite low on the priority list there's been a lot of "emergency solutions" the last years.
Like when the Z-belt broke last time and I changed the gearing, which makes the control panel not fit anymore. and hence has been hanging on the side for a long time...
IMG_3595.MOV_snapshot_00.01.217.jpg

I got a bit inspired from seeing how some MAHO machines have their control panel and started replicating it.
I think this will be superior compared to the original setup for several reasons:
1. Monitor and DRO will not be affected as much by the machines vibrations and coolant spatter(monitor is already damaged from it)
2. I can move things around wether I want to work from the front or the side
3. When not in use everything can be moved out of the way.
4. Standing in front of the panel should keep you well protected from flying chips etc.
IMG_5393.JPGIMG_5394.JPG

Since this lead to a full re-wiring I decided to overhaul everything whilst I was at it.
Changed out the old plastic hoses to these rubberized ones, way more flexible, spacious and looks neater.
IMG_5775.JPG

All home-switches have been replaced with proper sealed ones, and adjusted so I can get maximum travel, this nets me another 2" of travel in X and 1" in Y in combination with having moved the magnetic scale to the front as well.
IMG_5780.JPGIMG_5777.JPG

Control panel is still a work in progress but now incorporates switches for:
Main breaker(turns everything off in emergency)
PC on/off
CNC PSU's on/off
VFD on/off
Lights on/off
Coolant on/off/auto(controlled from mach3)
Stop and start for Mach3 programs
on/off/on switch for adjusting amount of coolant fluid
on/off/on switch for adjusting air regulator pressure
Also finally added a "proper" pendant but haven't configured it yet.
Once I can confirm that all functions work properly I will clean up the wiring mess and close this up. :grin:
IMG_5776.JPG

Well, having a working coolant system is just incredibly nice. :grin:
Semi-deep cuts with a 12mm endmill and it's just chugging along with absolutely no drama.
Didn't have my compressor on so chip evacuation wasn't great but still went super well.

Back