The Little Jet Lathe That Just Might Could

sorry to hear you folks are having troubles. i hope everybody feels better soon.

all the best,
mike:)

Finally got well enough to restart the work on the Baby Jet. The lathe is not not torqued down to the stand yet, still doing a few things before I do that. Next order of business is to replace the the stock motor with a 2 HP Marathon Black Max.

Doing some sweeping with the DTS, the lathe is every bit in good shape as Mike Mike descrIves it, if not better. Now discernable wear on the V ways. I took the level to both extremes of the ways and compared the reading in the middle and in the general area where most lathes are used, no significant between all readings.

The only things I need to replace or repair is the right side gear change lever. The outer barrel that to release and engage the gear is missing. I will most likely machine 2 units for symmetry. The TS crank is busted, the indicator dial is missing. I am not sure if the crank is one piece or 2 pieces pressed together. Their may be of a challenge. I will take the "buy" option if I can find one.

Mark started on the VFD system, to give him some ideas on how long to make the interconnect cables, I mocked the installations of the different boxes.

The orange boxes on top a vertical post is the HS control control box, the other one below the stand top plate is the Directional control box .

The VFD is on the top right side back splash. It will be mounted in free air, I just need to mount it to a metal angle iron that will provide some top sheld over the fan

The external 12V supply is shown behind
the VFD, final configuration, the power supply will move closer to the pump side and the Logic control Box will be installed between them. The Logic. Control Box right up next to the VFD wil be

See the progress in pictures

20160730_021600.jpg

20160730_021640.jpg

20160730_021709.jpg

Glad you are feeling better. That looks good, No pics on mine yet, But finished up a bunch on the table this morning. Then got it set on the table, Not as far along as yours, but still on the table.
Wife is out of hospital, ruptured Appendix, One doctor said it looked like she had swallowed a fire cracker that lodged in her appendix before exploding.
So I am still pretty far behind where we thought I should be by this time. I'm hoping to post something and be working by next weekend.
Also found I had lost 2 knobs on the way home, and a few other things vibrated lose. But still in good shape.

Hi nez,
i'm happy that you are happy with the 1024P
the stand looks great- how did you come about it?

as far as the TS handwheel-on my shenwai, the handwheel is an aluminum casting, one piece -bored,keyed.

The stand used to have a sheetmetal top, had it replaced with a 1/2 inch steel plate and had the wheels added and I added the hockey puck adjusters.

This one appears to be one piece or pressed together 2 pieces, the dial ring is not there either, but may not even worry about the dials, a DRO is easy to install. The wheel is another story, have to figure out a way to remediate it.

It's coming along, cleaning from the TS side working towards the HS. Slowly, to the limits of my bad shoulder can take.

20160730_182043.jpg

nez, Is that the same back splash, or is it the angle, It looks higher than it use to be. for some reason.

I am drawing a blank on what an "AO" is... Otherwise a neat little machine and a darn nice crate!

I had the 36" variant of that lathe a few years ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was an easy fix. The thread dial is tucked in a bit close, so a simple spacer block was made. I moved it out 3/4". Decent lathe. Yours looks very good.

Back