The Machine Shop Has Been Closed

It does say spar urethane on the can. Was water based though & was thinner (viscosity) than the can of polyurethane I already had so I was a bit worried.
One of the issues with water based is the ability to remove it later and refinish the surface you put it on. It is very difficult to remove water based products. I used a water based finish on two solid cherry pier cabinets that I build years ago. Never liked the depth of the finish but knew it would be a nightmare to remove. It was the first and last time I used a water based wood finish.

Although I have nothing to back this up I have always felt that water based finishes are more like a paint than a varnish. The only way I know of to have the option to varnish after removing paint is to varnish the wood first before you paint. Otherwise the paint gets into the grain of the wood and you can never truly remove the paint. You will always be able to see flecks of paint under the varnish.

And sorry to Darkzero that we have hijacked your thread.

And sorry to Darkzero that we have hijacked your thread.

Haha, no worries. I have been guilty of doing so many times. All good info anyway. :encourage:

Back