The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

In my shop is a 40:1 manufactured worm gear assembly and a few home made parts, naturally mention of a dividing head got my attention. Having made some parts, measuring and drafting (CAD) make me believe this would be a good project simply because it has parts for most home machinist, and is a tool that many of us could use. I am not qualified as a Machinist or a Draftsman but certainly see the need for them.
Two thoughts on finances; the first from a black powder shoot out in Lakewood, CO. You put your dollar down and take your shot, The next is financial aid from The Hobby-Machinist website. Statistically if 1/4 of our 36000 members were to contribute $1.00 it would create a budget 0f $9000 a year, devote 25% of this to administration and have $6750 for the project. Shop owners and managers can tell us how far that will go. A real challenge for the Board of Directors and the Project managers.
This is a good Idea with challenges for many people to produce a quality workable project. Shipping has the potential of destroying any manufacturing budget, perhaps shipping to an assembly point would combat these costs.
Have a good day
Ray (Rock breaker)

Last edited:
Wow, I have been fighting with replacing and programing the motherboard on my 3d printer (I have 15 hours AT least on that sonb1tch!) and this thread has really moved! FWIW, when I ever get around to making the oil cans, I'm not brazing, I'm threading the mating surfaces...with a gutter for a oil seal, it won't leak. I really have been on the fence if people should end up with their own (whatever this ends up being) or it's one large/complicated item that is shared? Stored where ever it happens to be? I really don't have the answers but I just want my fellow hobby machinist newbs to know this, if you haven't made (or worked off) blueprints with tolerances and finished that project and marveled at the glory of your accomplishments....you're missing out. Not only that, but it's a whole new world when you make something like that versus part by part, checking to see if things fit up as your gauge. There is a huge value to learning to work that way over winging it. No matter what I make now, I start with Fusion 360 plans, mostly because I sometimes don't see my own mistakes until it's too late. I enjoy this but I'm limited by my few years of doing this...learning what I can from whomever is willing (thanks @rock_breaker for all the emails explaining tirelessly) Youtube, forums etc.... but the best discipline at some point is just doing it.
I really want to do gears...never have. Quite honestly, I may never get up the nerves unless I'm forced to. Anyway, these sort of reasons are my motivation. I'd like it to be pretty complicated and pretty precision. Seriously, with all the people here (even if just the interested ones) and all the knowledge, what couldn't be made?? If I'm out $20, $30, $50.....so be it, but the experience is worth far more than that.
A Die filer? How many parts to that? Seems like its mostly a stand for a motor....no?
A steam engine?....ok, that's probably a bit closer to what I envision.
I will say...dividing head really appeals to me. I have one, so I don't need one, but I really don't know if that there really is that many parts to it. I wish I had the answers...I'm along for the ride.

So I found this site linked here, and he has plans posted for a dividing head that we might use as inspiration: http://home.scarlet.be/mini-draaien-frezen/engels/project-07.html

It is all in metric, so we may wish to convert it (or use it as inspiration?), but it is a good starting point for those who know CAD.

Also, appear to be about 15-20 parts? Seems about right as a couple (like the dividing plates) are repeats.

Maybe....if enough people are interested, we could have a couple projects? Seems like Die Filer has some momentum, oil cans had some interest and so did the dividing head. Maybe a list of whos in and what they are most into? Total up how many people/how many groups?
i.e >below< and everyone just quote the thread and adds their name and interest?
1) GunsOfNavarone Dividing Head

Maybe....if enough people are interested, we could have a couple projects? Seems like Die Filer has some momentum, oil cans had some interest and so did the dividing head. Maybe a list of whos in and what they are most into? Total up how many people/how many groups?
i.e >below< and everyone just quote the thread and adds their name and interest?
1) GunsOfNavarone Dividing Head
2) Joe065 (Doug Gray) I'd love to help with CAD work as needed

(3) I have a lathe with 0.0001 run out so I can make some precision parts and make round stuff

(4) erichkeane I have a big lathe, a surface grinder, and a huge shaper, so big and/or flat is my specialty :) Up for any project, though the dividing head seems fun!

I was hoping something organized like this...

1) GunsOfNavarone 1st choice Dividing Head, 2nd Oil Can
2) Joe065 (Doug Gray) I'd love to help with CAD work as needed
3) I have a lathe with 0.0001 run out so I can make some precision parts and make round stuff
4) erichkeane I have a big lathe, a surface grinder, and a huge shaper, so big and/or flat is my specialty :) Up for any project, though the dividing head seems fun!

(5) I have a Wrong-Fu round column mill, an Atlast 12x36, and the fixture and homemade hob to make the the worm gear.

It's kind of backwards, but if we could work up a drawing around this gear, then I have the material on hand to make ten sets of gear, worm, and shaft. I'd ship it to ten people that would commit to making a tenth of the parts of a dividing head, and shipping their parts to me.

Attachments

• KIMG0655[1].JPG
    KIMG0655[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back