The madness needs to stop...how about a GROUP PROJECT?

We might want to do a test project first; something very simple with few parts where we can get our feet wet. The toolmakers clamp idea would work there.

Great idea: clone my favorite clamp ever! No makers marks at all... I have two and wish I had more! A 0.500" OD tube runs in a 0.506" hole to give very quick, firm locking. The tube isnt super hard. The sliding bit seems a bit harder. If there's interest then drawings wouldn't be very hard. 6 or 7 parts plus a trip to someone's blacking/bluing tanks.

Tube
Fixed jaw
Sliding jaw
Knurled knob
Stud (1/4-20, could be integral with the knob, has a shoulder for the foot)
Clamp foot.
Lock screw for the fixed foot

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

@Weldingrod1 I'm not pooping on your parade, but like I said before I PERSONALLY would like to see it have a sizable amount of parts and tolerance so when all these random parts show up, are put together, we have a precision working model. There is so much room on the clamps, it'd be hard to not have it working one way or another....there is a lot of play in the design.
Maybe my sights are not realistic, I'm okay hearing that, but it excites me so much to think, This Old Tony, BlondiHacks, Abom79, Adam Savage and dozens more made a full size working replica of Apollo 11 hatch. From Plans and all over the country. There's got to be a realistic compromise?

Attachments

• egress.jpg
    egress.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 13
@Weldingrod1 I'm not pooping on your parade, but like I said before I PERSONALLY would like to see it have a sizable amount of parts and tolerance so when all these random parts show up, are put together, we have a precision working model. There is so much room on the clamps, it'd be hard to not have it working one way or another....there is a lot of play in the design.
Maybe my sights are not realistic, I'm okay hearing that, but it excites me so much to think, This Old Tony, BlondiHacks, Abom79, Adam Savage and dozens more made a full size working replica of Apollo 11 hatch. From Plans and all over the country. There's got to be a realistic compromise?
I like your idea but I think we start with a small project for proof of concept. like what Weldingrod1 said,
We might want to do a test project first; something very simple with few parts where we can get our feet wet. The toolmakers clamp idea would work there.

Great idea: clone my favorite clamp ever! No makers marks at all... I have two and wish I had more! A 0.500" OD tube runs in a 0.506" hole to give very quick, firm locking. The tube isnt super hard. The sliding bit seems a bit harder. If there's interest then drawings wouldn't be very hard. 6 or 7 parts plus a trip to someone's blacking/bluing tanks.
it could be done by a few people in 2 weeks tops. we could sort out any problems or issues about doing a project then go full scale with lots of parts. This reminds me of a school board meeting, they take for every to do something and it is said what to do multiple times. I think we should have a poll on what to make. I think to start small then go big.

The dividing head will probably take several months. The clamp a couple weeks.

Compromise suggestion: Do both. The dividing head project can be modified to incorporate any lessons learned from the clamp. I'll volunteer to participate in both.

Follow the "make your part and ship to all participants" model?
Limit the group to 3 or 4 people to make working out the process easier?
Start a separate thread to track each project? If it works well, get HM to setup a "Group Project" forum?

For the clamp, I'll have the ability to case harden parts in a month or so, right after I get my furnace built. I've got all the parts, and now that I have the rotary engine rebuilt for the Dyke Delta, I'll have time to put it together.

More good ideas!
Not sure I fully understand the full function of a retracting threading devise. What does ROTFLTAO mean? If it concerns "rolling on the floor laughing their best body part off " they need to tell us what button they use to choose one of 12 +/- projects not even on a list yet. Once a project is chosen, parts drawn and dimentioned (where is the spell checker?) there is no doubt in my mind about their ability to complete a project.
Would it be better to start with a small project with fewer parts sent to the participants in the build for their use?. In the event of more parts than participants those with less complicated parts would be asked to double up. Dimensions and tolerances are the first order.
At this point should the number of projects and a time limit be set?
Have a good day
Ray (Rock Breaker)
PS @Shotgun added good ideas as I was working on my blog

Last edited:
More good ideas!
Not sure I fully understand the full function of a retracting threading devise. What does ROTFLTAO mean? If it concerns "rolling on the floor laughing their best body part off " they need to tell us what button they use to choose one of 12 +/- projects not even on a list yet. Once a project is chosen, parts drawn and dimentioned (where is the spell checker?) there is no doubt in my mind about their ability to complete a project.
Would it be better to start with a small project with fewer parts sent to the participants in the build for their use?. In the event of more parts than participants those with less complicated parts would be asked to double up. Dimensions and tolerances are the first order.
At this point should the number of projects and a time limit be set?
Have a good day
Ray (Rock Breaker)
PS @Shotgun added good ideas as I was working on my blog
we should just have a poll soon to see what we want to make.

so far we have
1 die filler
2 toolmakers clamp
3 oil can
4 dividing head
5 belt sander setup motor
6 radius turner
7 quick retract threading device
8 floor jack

tell me if I missed one.

Last edited:
Back