The New 1340GT from PM

Pat, Great pictures, looks great in the shop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat, Great pictures, looks great in the shop!

Thanks Matt. while the wait was long, the lathe is worth it. Having had a chance to examine the lathe closely I really like the fit and finish and no hidden roughness in the "guts". Running the lathe is a dream, although a few more knobs than I have used before: it really has the sound of power. Some of the combinations I'll figure out as I go, but all in all a great device. BTW, that little red tool box full of stuff was like finding Santa Claus' bag on XMAS morning. LOL.

Pat McConnel

Later this afternoon (after 2-3pm EST) I'll be able to respond with more info... Sit tight... For now though, I don't think there's anything wrong with the unit so we'll just go over the major pieces and walk through it.

Ray

Regrettably, I got stuck on a job much longer than hoped... In any event, if there are any additional questions, we can go over them. I'm not sure what to discuss but, I'll start with this since it's a very classic style lathe...

First things first, it's important to know and practice basic lathe safety.
  • Always wear safety goggles.
  • Never wear loose clothing or long sleeves.
  • Never put your hands/fingers on or near any rotating part, gear, belt etc.
  • Never leave the chuck key in the chuck / make sure the chuck key is not in the chuck when you start the lathe.
  • Never try to grab or wipe away with your hands, the metal shavings as they are coming off the workpiece.
  • When the side gearbox cover is removed to change gears, always enable the safety button.

Also, as far as basic lathe terminology and use, this old Army article tells you everything you need to know about running a manual lathe. http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm In addition, there are countless videos on YouTube about basic lathe operation. The ones posted by Tubal Cain are very popular among folks.

On this style lathe (flat tooth gearbox type) the most common causes of damage happen for the reasons below...

1) The knobs or levers should not be changed/adjusted while the machine is spinning at or anywhere near full speed. If you have to change settings, stop the lathe and rotate the chuck a small amount. This lets the gears rotate and mesh properly. You can also use the "jog" button to quickly blip the motor and cause it to rotate a few turns.

2) Never let the carriage or compound reach the end of it's travel while being powered in auto feed mode.

When you're first starting out, set the speed to a low value. Also, put the carriage in the middle of the bed and compound in a center position. This will give you plenty of reaction time.

Anyhow, if you have specific questions... shoot away...

Ray

Subscribed.. Just to follow this thread.

Mike.

I am in somewhat of a unique position regarding these issues. First, I am sympathetic to any purchaser of equipment as I have ordered a PM 1440BV lathe from Matt and I am probably the most inexperienced user on this forum. As a "newbie," it appears to me that the problems which Giggs complains of are those which folks like me will encounter. While it is reasonable to be frustrated because you can't get up and running immediately, it is also reasonable that you sit back and take an extra look before you decide that the equipment is at fault as opposed to your understanding and/or setup.

I have spent a great deal of time monitoring this, and many other forums, regarding PM machinery. The 1340 GT is about $2,000 more expensive than the 1440BV which I ordered, considering accessories, etc. My greatest quandary in choosing a machine was determining which of these machines to purchase. I am convinced that the 1440BV is all the machine that I will ever need. This opinion is shared by my mentor whom I can assure you can do anything that can be done with or to a piece of metal. I remain steadfast in this decision.

However, even after reaching that conclusion, I was sorely tempted to buy the 1230GT due to the rave reviews about this machine from everyone who bought one. There are so many people who literally love this machine that I find it hard to believe that there is any significant problem or, in the alternative, that there is an problem that won't be quickly remedied by Matt.

As for Matt being hard to reach, in my opinion that is a non-existent issue. I tried to reach Matt one time and was successful in that he responded to my call within two hours. Every time that I have called back since then, I was immediately able to speak with a live person who provided all the information I needed.

In addition, Ray C is readily available beyond belief. I have pestered him so much in deciding what machine to purchase that there is no way that either he or Matt is ever going to make a decent profit off of me. Without exaggeration, I have talked to Ray, by telephone, at least twenty times. There is no telling how many times he has responded to my emails. Despite my repeated "newbie" questions, he has always been not only willing but enthusiastic in answering my questions. Including in such questions have been "why do you need a variable feed lathe" and "whether or not you need a two or three axis DRO on a mill." Not once was I treated like the idiot that I am.

With all due respect, based on my experience, the "problems" complained of could have been resolved in less time that it would have taken to post the message which started this thread.

I have the 935 mill (that I love) and I'm still planning at some point to buy the 1340GT. I can't speak for anyone else and their experiences, but I emailed Matt at about 5:10 his time to ask how often they are in and how much to expect as a down payment to hold one. I expected a response next week, but had one 20 minutes later (granted that might be prime email responding time, but still, it's Friday night...) I figure to buy one next year, but it turns out he's got at least one in stock now. Somebody please buy it because my wife seems especially receptive to not holding me back...

I have the 935 mill (that I love) and I'm still planning at some point to buy the 1340GT. I can't speak for anyone else and their experiences, but I emailed Matt at about 5:10 his time to ask how often they are in and how much to expect as a down payment to hold one. I expected a response next week, but had one 20 minutes later (granted that might be prime email responding time, but still, it's Friday night...) I figure to buy one next year, but it turns out he's got at least one in stock now. Somebody please buy it because my wife seems especially receptive to not holding me back...

PERFECT!

When is it getting delivered?:))

You need this machine. Order it now. Remember a lathe in PA is worth 10 in Tiawan, no loooong wait.

Rick

.... LOL: I'm just a phone call away, Smudge...

Ray

Regrettably, I got stuck on a job much longer than hoped... In any event, if there are any additional questions, we can go over them. I'm not sure what to discuss but, I'll start with this since it's a very classic style lathe...

First things first, it's important to know and practice basic lathe safety.
  • Always wear safety goggles.
  • Never wear loose clothing or long sleeves.
  • Never put your hands/fingers on or near any rotating part, gear, belt etc.
  • Never leave the chuck key in the chuck / make sure the chuck key is not in the chuck when you start the lathe.
  • Never try to grab or wipe away with your hands, the metal shavings as they are coming off the workpiece.
  • When the side gearbox cover is removed to change gears, always enable the safety button.

Also, as far as basic lathe terminology and use, this old Army article tells you everything you need to know about running a manual lathe. http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm In addition, there are countless videos on YouTube about basic lathe operation. The ones posted by Tubal Cain are very popular among folks.

On this style lathe (flat tooth gearbox type) the most common causes of damage happen for the reasons below...

1) The knobs or levers should not be changed/adjusted while the machine is spinning at or anywhere near full speed. If you have to change settings, stop the lathe and rotate the chuck a small amount. This lets the gears rotate and mesh properly. You can also use the "jog" button to quickly blip the motor and cause it to rotate a few turns.

2) Never let the carriage or compound reach the end of it's travel while being powered in auto feed mode.

When you're first starting out, set the speed to a low value. Also, put the carriage in the middle of the bed and compound in a center position. This will give you plenty of reaction time.

Anyhow, if you have specific questions... shoot away...

Ray

Thanks Ray, after reading your post i feel much better about my 1340GT. I see that you have a PM-45M-CNC, I am looking to upgrade from my G0704, once i have the 1340Gt set up i will have to pick our brain about the Mill.

Danny

Back