The New South Bend 10K

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am seriously considering the new South Bend 10K. It is certainly not a bargain and I feel it should come with more at the current price. Nevertheless, it looks like an excellent small lathe.
I would definitely need to add a DRO. Has anyone recently put a DRO on a similar lathe? What kind of DRO should I be looking at? Magnetic or other? Can anyone give some specifics about attachment points for the encoders?
I will also probably add a brake. This may be self designed or I may swap out the motor for a motor with a brake.
Any thoughts appreciated!

sb1002-89c8bab771a41f8b66a190663e028b65.jpg
R

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the new SB 10 lathe.
As far as a DRO, I'm installing iGAGING scales on my SB 9A (http://www.igagingstore.com/category-s/1831.htm).
Since I've installed them on my mill as well, I'm adding the Yuriy's Toy DRO display (http://www.yuriystoys.com/).
There's a thread on here somewhere that discussed the new SB 10K, but not sure where it's at. Was a lot of interest at the time it came out. Like you, most thought the price was an issue. Haven't seen anything since.
If you get one, I think there would be a lot of interest in pictures and a review of the machine.

The new SB 10K looks like a nice machine but $5135, no stand, no steady rest, no follower rest, no 4 jaw, no faceplate, no QCTP, no live center, no drill chuck Ouch!

The new SB 10K looks like a nice machine but $5135, no stand, no steady rest, no follower rest, no 4 jaw, no faceplate, no QCTP, no live center, no drill chuck Ouch!

Damn the stand is $1,300 ridiculous. 1200 max rpm, only a 1hp motor, D1-3 spindle, jaws not reversible, made in Taiwan...I think the OP can get a lot more for the money.

I agree with all the above.
R

The new South Bend lathes according to Grizzly are made in Taiwan not in China. The particular manufacturing shop that built these are up to a higher standard of quality than most. I don't care what all of the guru's out there say about the "cost of quality" it does cost. And guess who pays for this quality, anyone whom buys a new South Bend Lathe!

Not to put anyone down here, one notable person most of us know over here in the States. Helped put together a program in one of the factories, if not several, over in Taiwan. To doing a nicer job in fitting up machine tool assemblies for higher accuracy's. And you think that didn't add cost to the bottom line...

I got a smaller 8K this past summer, and I have been very pleased with it. I saw it first-hand at Grizzly's Springfield MO showroom before my purchase and even a casual examination made it obvious that it was a step up from most Asian machines...overall, I have been happy and impressed.

I got a smaller 8K this past summer, and I have been very pleased with it. I saw it first-hand at Grizzly's Springfield MO showroom before my purchase and even a casual examination made it obvious that it was a step up from most Asian machines...overall, I have been happy and impressed.
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear. Did you happen to look at the 10K?

I don't see a better lathe out there for my needs. Also I like the lower weight. The lathe is 600 lbs and the stand 290. Most lathes are a lot heavier. This is going on a wood floor (don't laugh.)
Can any one show me how they put a DRO on an old 9" or something similar?
R

Did you happen to look at the 10K?

It was out of my price range and would take more room than I was willing to sacrifice in my tiny shop, so I only gave it a cursory glance.

I can't believe the spindle bore is only .86" vs 1" on the 8k - What were they thinking????

Given your location, it would be easy to find a 9A with tooling in exc condition for 1/4 the price or even a heavy 10 for a little more.

Back