The New South Bend 10K

Hopefully I will get a chance to check cutting threads soon. I suspect I will be ok on that one. But in the mean time I have to play catch up for a while. Ironically, my budget called for a used two thousand dollar lathe that would fit in a 48" ( or close ) space. So I blew my budget all to crap. There goes my full size mill money. :( So for now I'll have to live with my little G0619 and it's back lash. And I still had to rearrange the shop to squeeze this in. Geez.

The 1oK is now on sale at $4,750.
R

thats a "purdy" lathe .

.i almost bought one back in May , i had purchased a smaller 8.5x16 china model sent it back ( cross feed broke too ) JMHO not enough girth either. Was on my way to order a 10X30 and some of the fellas on the forum told me to check a machine tool place in my state... i hap to find a SB 10 heavy tool room lathe with all the fixingss under $2500 .. ya know what it may be old but it weights 2xs as much as any china lathe that size approx 1000-1200 lbs and to top it off gear box goes from 4-440 TPI . no changing gears ...

Hey Good luck with that lathe looks like a nice addition to the shop .. no worries you will get the bigger mill when time is right

Just curious. I've never been a machinist or had any type of formal training. What is the big draw to south bend heavy 10. Or south ends in general.. For the prices people want their seems to be better buys around than them.
I posted a south end for a friend for sale and I think it is bigger and heavier tan a heavy 10. How heavy is a heavy 10?
Thanks ron

The heavy 10 seems to be a good all-around lathe, but still in a manageable size for those who are space constrained?

The heavy 10 seems to be a good all-around lathe, but still in a manageable size for those who are space constrained?

IMO, it's still way to expensive for what you get. You could probably buy an older one, and have the entire machine reground for less than the cost of buying a new one. Not to mention as soon as you step up to the 12 or 13" range you can buy quality stuff made in Taiwan that's roughly the same price, and a lot more capable. Not to mention if you look at the spec shees the heavy 10 takes up more space than the 12x36 gunsmith lathe, though the 12x36 is almost twice as heavy.

I played with a heavy 10 last December in the Muncy store, and I wasn't overly impressed, because the features/accessories it came with, just wan't up to snuff when you considered the price. My recommendation to the op, would be to think long and hard about what you are paying for, and not to get swept up in the "high quality" nostalgia Grizzly is trying to sell. getting this machine fully fitted out with a stand, and chucks etc could easily set you back $10k, and it's still a light weight machine.

Jmho needs and wants are 2 dif things . always better to invest in better tooling machines and equipped . esp if they will serve you . so with that said if ya need can afford new and know what you want. than getting better for the investment the commitment, its going to make you money than go for it ! I even do research even on low value item . before you buy anything with a high price tag go next step further and test drive it too.

all personal preference to what ya need want and can afford. yes space too... same in my case. I wanted a functional lathe . anyways IMO in my case used was a better investment. Bang for buck and I got my cake and eat too.
I was blessed and very fortunate to have a lathe in this condition avail at the right time ... What I would of spent on NEW china lathe I was able to get used with more tooling ... to top it off much better quality all around . Quick change gear box , collets Face plate 4 jaw, 3 jaw chucks steady rest .. all Old -seasoned well cared for American made vintage good stuff . Price tag under $2400. that's exactly what I wanted and my Budget allotted for . When this lathe came up I did 72 hours of research , killed the entire day - test drove, fiddled w/machine, for well over 3 hours .

If ya wait research things eventually they will come along . My best friend ( carpenter) called this an anchor weight .. I called it my diamond in the rough . depends on the beholder tho .....what I always wanted

DSCF1115.JPG DSCF1122.JPG DSCF1118.JPG

Jmho needs and wants are 2 dif things . always better to invest in better tooling machines and equipped . esp if they will serve you . so with that said if ya need can afford new and know what you want. than getting better for the investment the commitment, its going to make you money than go for it ! I even do research even on low value item . before you buy anything with a high price tag go next step further and test drive it too.

all personal preference to what ya need want and can afford. yes space too... same in my case. I wanted a functional lathe . anyways IMO in my case used was a better investment. Bang for buck and I got my cake and eat too.
I was blessed and very fortunate to have a lathe in this condition avail at the right time ... What I would of spent on NEW china lathe I was able to get used with more tooling ... to top it off much better quality all around . Quick change gear box , collets Face plate 4 jaw, 3 jaw chucks steady rest .. all Old -seasoned well cared for American made vintage good stuff . Price tag under $2400. that's exactly what I wanted and my Budget allotted for . When this lathe came up I did 72 hours of research , killed the entire day - test drove, fiddled w/machine, for well over 3 hours .

If ya wait research things eventually they will come along . My best friend ( carpenter) called this an anchor weight .. I called it my diamond in the rough . depends on the beholder tho .....what I always wanted

I just bought g4003 I did 3 months online search about what is the best for $$ and I found this;
The old American machine it's great if you buy it almost brand new, but in fact there is none in mint condition, and if you buy SB lathe for let say $2,400 you still need to restore it! It's a lot of work could take you up to a year to finish it if you located in areas like AZ then you are a lone in the desert!!!
Also buying old machine meaning buying somebody else problem...:::
Now come back to g4003; I got it with 10% discount so total include shipping and lift gate $2800
The machine itself have less than .0003
Spindle runout, hardened bed, comes with all 4 jaw chuck and qctp, steady rest, fallow rest, face plate, so you pretty much ready to go right out of the box,
The size is great 1.5 spindle bore 5c collet closer, 12 swing and can go up to 17" swing
Heavier than south bend which is 997 LB
CNC this machine will be a great upgrade!
Also grizzly gives 1 year full warranty
So I believe I did a good choice over the old worn machine for almost same price just almost!!!:)
Good luck
Oz

Last edited:
I was thinking of a older heavy 10 when I wrote that. Not the new one.

Back