The Next Generation

It seems a bit premature to be setting your protégé up with machines and his own shop. You did say hobby. If you can, why not continue to instruct him on your equipment in your shop. A few years down the line after he gets an education and a job he can set himself up just like we all did. He will appreciate it more that way. If he really has the machining itch it will last forever. All in good time I say but I really should mind my own business, sorry.

Have to agree with Toz. He can learn on your machines, just like we learned on someone elses. I worked on a lot of machines before I actually owned any. But I always had my own toolbox full of the support equipment I needed. You could help him build up a tool collection for his toolbox. Every machinist needs their own measuring tools and layout tools, and especially a handbook. I'm sure there are members here that have extras or duplicates of tools they don't use that would be happy to donate to a young student.
I have a 1" micrometer that I will contribute......tell us where to send it.

Hi AvgJoe,

A couple thoughts.......

First, Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

Second, it is great to see you "stepping up" and helping that young guy follow his interests. I hope you do continue this relationship. Once he has a few projects under his belt, he will understand so much more about how the products he sees and uses every day are made, what materials are better than others for a project and why. This really could help him decide what to do in his life.

Third, That's a big rotary table! It must weight more than the kid using it!

Last, I know it's a big commitment for you, but maybe you could find some low cost (or even free) tools because they need some work. We here know the feeling of using a tool you either made or "brought back from the dead". Maybe this guy could learn that sense of accomplishment too.

-brino

Tools given to a boy are soon forgotten . Tools earned and bought are a lifetime treasure . Just some food for thought before you invest much into setting him up .

Edited to add...

Its a great thing to step up and teach a child , however pride of ownership and the desire/ability to stick with something cannot be gifted . That must be earned as they go along the learning process and invest of themselves the amount they are willing.

It's great your helping him with something he is interested it... I have one comment though, shouldnt you teach him NOT to wear gloves when using the lathe/mill etc? Even those that seem to be able to tear off easily really might not one time and it only takes once to have a catastrophy happen. Better to get a little dirty. Good Luck with it all..

I've got to agree with what a few others have already stated. What you've got yourself here is an apprentice. And one of the early lessons for your young apprentice should be one on how to keep a tidy shop. :)

It's great your helping him with something he is interested it... I have one comment though, shouldnt you teach him NOT to wear gloves when using the lathe/mill etc? Even those that seem to be able to tear off easily really might not one time and it only takes once to have a catastrophy happen. Better to get a little dirty. Good Luck with it all..

+1 on this comment. Saw a pretty good bruise on a machinist hand about two months ago - latex glove started up on a drill press spindle and tore off. Only a split second and he was lucky it broke away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about it. I have not taken off my wedding band in over 30 years.
I took it off.
I’m already missing 2 fingers on my left hand. I don’t need to lose any more.
My wife is fine with it.
She did say, if any women make a pass at you, tell them you are spoken for :)
Agreed, no gloves, no jewelry, no long sleeves or loose clothing.

I thought about it. I have not taken off my wedding band in over 30 years.
I took it off.
I’m already missing 2 fingers on my left hand. I don’t need to lose any more.
My wife is fine with it.
She did say, if any women make a pass at you, tell them you are spoken for :)
Agreed, no gloves, no jewelry, no long sleeves or loose clothing.

Jewelry and machinery is a land mine waiting for you to step on it. I was 16 working at a grocery store. The delivery driver for the morning fish order jumped down out of his truck while holding onto the side door rail. Wedding ring skinned his finger clean (well, pretty clean as far as I could tell). Called 911 and sat there with that guy pulling ice out of the fish bins to try and relieve his suffering. No moving parts, no warning signs on the truck...just physics. That was tough to look at.

From the files of "I was once young and dumb, as opposed to old and dumb"... I was using the bridgeport in our shop to do a government job (a part for my car), and I leaned over to get a good look at what I was doing. Before you could say 'Italian necktie', the end mill grabs ahold of my tie and starts reeling me in. (This is why engineers should stay OUT of the shop...but I did get less ignorant as I'd aged). Fortunately I had the where with all during my panic to reach up and hit the off switch. No problem...I had at least 3 or 4 inches to spare, but the tie was trashed. So suffice it to say, I no longer wear any kind of loose clothing or jewelry of any kind when I'm working in the home shop, and now that I'm retired with my neck intact, I never where neckties except for the very occasional occasion.

Back