The Next Generation

We were not allowed to wear neckties, rings or watches when in the plant. Not even the plant manager. Clip on ties and pocket watches were ok.
Long hair (only females wore them long back then) had to be tied up. Heard stories of one who got her scalp ripped off before the rules were enforced. Told my sweetheart that I wore her ring around my heart. Seems to have worked cause we celebrated our 50th last year.

Getting back to your protégé, he is fortunate but so are you. There is nothing quite so rewarding as watching a youngster flourish with our help. God bless the both of you.

I wonder if I can add my two pence worth, By the looks of things you have a youngster in your shop who seems to have that something in his being which makes him want to work with his hands, O how I wish the U.K. could get back to the ethos of the 1950/s nowadays we are polluted with bean counters and politicians, & scurvacios bankers, Look where it has got our manufacturing industries , engineering etc, Virtually zilch , Zero Non Existant! Sorry for my rant.
When one comes across a kid who wants to learn, There are many good video,s and You Tube programmes which show how to make things,+ books, But nothing beats the fun of achieving an outcome whem something works, How about showing the youngster how to go about making a simple oscillating cylinder steam engine, These little things are a good base point for basic workshop skills , If he gets a modicum of success , you very well might have lit the fire of a budding engineer, Keep him on a path of workshop hand skills, marking out , sawing to near a line &filing, to size ,This can tie up with a project such as a simple engine
As you build up the kids confidence, with accent on shop safety , you may have the satisfaction of helping him on a happy path through life

I know exactly how you feel for this young man . For three years I apprenticed a young man in small engine repairs and rebuilds . It's the way I could help pay bills fixing and selling. Now back to my buddy , he now is 17 but when he started coming over he was about 12 , he's autistic but so smart just shy and has some light twitches with his eyes. But I'd never say he was autistic if I didn't know. His mom and now x dad came and asked if he could spend time here . What could I say , YUPP no problem three days a week he took motors apart and learned how to rebuild engines from boring and honeing the cylinder to cutting valves and carb settings how to set by ear not just adjustments.
I gave him tools I had doubles and bought things for him too. If his mom or dad had a garage I had planned on giving him a lift table . But he's good still comes by just to see me and very grateful for our times in the shop.
You extend yourself when you teach a child your trade , it's the only real way they understand to learn from there piers and elders. Schools push book learning it's ok but some are smarter then books and loose interest , but give them hands on and brain work the books will then be used.
Thank you for helping this young man your steering his course for awhile till he chooses what to do. Great job.

Back