The NutCrusher Mk1

Smarter Every Day just released a YouTube about pecans and in it he shows and describes an industrial pecan nut cracker. very interesting technique to apply pressure to squeeze the nut from the ends then apply a sharp force on the end to crack.

brings tears to my eyes Braedon! Thanks Boswell, I'll have to check that out.

Made some more progress. Got the lever side plate cut on the 2nd try. Didn't scribe a center line the second time :)
IMG_0001.JPG

drilling the upper plates. I drilled and reamed each one to just over 5/16 separately, then used one of the axles/ pivots to fixture the two of them together to drill and ream the 1/2" holes for the bushings
IMG_0002.JPG
that way the two holes on each plate should be the exact same distance apart

Did the same for the lever plates but could figure out a way to drill the pilot for the square hole, so called it a night. I'll ponder on it while I sleep :)
IMG_0003.JPG

just looking at that makes me realise that the lower pivot pin needs to be waaaaay longer than I originally calculated. I think I missed a couple of 1/4" plates in the first run. Good job I only made 3 out of the 4 pins I needed, right??

Smarter Every Day just released a YouTube about pecans and in it he shows and describes an industrial pecan nut cracker. very interesting technique to apply pressure to squeeze the nut from the ends then apply a sharp force on the end to crack.
That sounds like the "Texas inertial nut cracker." I bought one from Pecans.com, but they no longer seem to sell it. Here are a couple links of interest:

Will be interesting to see how this comes out. We have one for pecans thats similar.

Attachments

• 20201210_055123.jpg
    20201210_055123.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201210_055140.jpg
    20201210_055140.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
not made a huge amount of progress, due to these arriving for a while
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

but I did get the upper plates finished
IMG_0007.JPG

and the lever plates fixtured for drill the square hole
IMG_0008.JPG

just have to figure out the math and drill size for the corners first

Also made some progress on the screws, but didn't get time to finish yesterday.

made the 8-32 bolts out of 1/2" brass hex
IMG_0013.JPG

made the squareish holes in the lever plates. In theory my approach was great - drill 4 #54 holes at the corners and a 1/4" hole in the middle for a 0.256" square hole. Well, it kinda sucked. Drilling 4 0.05" holes in 304 stainless was not fun and for one of the holes the drill wandered off a surface imperfection, then the 1/4" hole ended up off center. I tried using a 0.05" carbide endmill but that broke almost immediately, but the 2.5mm 4 flute I tried next did the job just fine.
IMG_0014.JPG

bit of judicious filing to make everything fit and square and..
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG

and with the 4th pivot axle that I forgot in the original plans
IMG_0021.JPG
need to finish up the lever plates, but that won't take long

plus a picture of a puppy having a dream :)
IMG_0015.JPG

I've used ArmyDoc's version growing up - very effective on Pecans. Your version is intriguing! Where's the popcorn, as I'm gonna watch this!!!

well, we'll see how it pans out - the theory is sound, the practice is still an open question! Might even be able to use it as a small arbor press/ cable crimper by the time I'm done, it's pretty beefy :)

finished the handle and linkage. What a palaver - screwed up the handle TWICE yesterday. I was so p!$$ed with myself. First I messed up the math and drilled/ tapped the 2 holes too far apart and I’m still not 100% certain why. I decided to extend the cut out to drill a 3rd hole and cut off the first one. Well, the 2 holes still didn’t line up properly. Choice words were uttered. In the end, I changed the design so that the very end bolted through to the axle/ pivot and drilled/ tapped the middle hole for M5x0.8 through the side plate. Bit of milling, filing and sanding and it now looks like it was meant to be like that!
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Back