The Old Logan

nuturner

Registered
Registered
PICT5191.JPG
My son has had this Montgomery Wards PowrKraft in the corner of his garage for several years. Given to him by a friend. It was covered with rust, dried up lubricants and other nasty stuff so he agreed to let me get it back into running shape.
Spefications:
Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft
10x24 inch Mod. 64TLC-2180
Mfg. Date 1941
Serial Number 2403
Made by Logan for Wards before they marketed it under their own name
43 inch bed with 24 inches between centers
Weight 500#
I found a couple of gears with a broken tooth and the apron assembly miter gear stud and bearing were toast (the stud had fractured at some point and someone tried to weld it ... not a good idea) but after complete disassembly and reassembly it now runs +/- .001 over span of 18 inches and I'm happy as a frog in pond.
I don't have (and haven't yet found) a set of thread gears or accessory quick-change gear box but I'll keep looking. If ya'll have any idea where I can find those please let me know.

Logan is still in business as Logan Actuator Co. They still list parts for the old Wards and Logan lathes. Find them on the net at <www.lathe.com >
Good luck!

Joe

Good machine. I had a Powr-Kraft (Logan) 54TLC-2130 as my first lathe. You will certainly enjoy yours.

According to your model number (64TLC-2180), your lathe should have been manufactured in 1946. You can match up your serial number from the Logan web site to confirm that. The first two numbers on a Powr-Kraft lathe are the transposed year of manufacture. Mine started with 54, and was manufactured in 1945. Yours starts with 64, and should have been manufactured in 1946. Here is a link to the charts: http://lathe.com/toc.htm

GG

Back