The PM-1236T vs PM-1340GT dilemma

litewings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Very close to ordering one or the other but on the verge of a nervous breakdown trying to decide. It will be replacing a 3in1 machine that has been a pain in my --- since the day it arrived 6 years ago. Will be used at work occasionally for building small parts and for pleasure working on guns and other things. I won't be using it daily and conservatively estimate 10-20 hours a month use, some months maybe not at all. That being said, I'm not sure I would see the benefit of the hardened gears in the 1340. Does the 1340GT run smoother/quieter then the 1296T? Thoughts? Somebody knock me off the fence please!

IMO the primary difference between the two is the additional working envelope, weight, and rigidity that the 1340GT may have over the 1236T.

For critical long gun (barrel) work, the 1340GT might have the advantage but I don't know for sure as I seldom do long gun work but I do cut on a lot of barrels for pistols. :)

As I've not run a 1236T I can't speak to the smoother/quieter part of your question.

I wondered about the rigidity difference between the two also. The 1340 being 250lbs heavier for 4 inches more length and a little taller headstock. Seems it must be built more substantial in other places too. I'm getting a list of questions for QMT

I would check to see if Matt can still get the ERL-1340. That's what I wound up with when I started looking at those, and I have absolutely no regrets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The 1340 also has hardened ways. Probably not a big deal since it will see very light use.
You're looking at ~13k for the ERL-TV. not a great lathe for gunsmithing

I wondered about the rigidity difference between the two also. The 1340 being 250lbs heavier for 4 inches more length and a little taller headstock. Seems it must be built more substantial in other places too. I'm getting a list of questions for QMT

If you can, talk to Matt. He has never steered me wrong.

Functionally I do not think you would see much difference, they are made by the same factory and the original manual showed both. I had the 1340GT, very nice lathe, you will not be limited by the machine and these will hold close tolerance work. Weight is an advantage, but the 1236T is just a slightly shrunken version of the 1340GT so should not be any rigidity difference or differences in ability. Slightly smaller Hp motor and 3 year warranty on the 1236T instead of 5 year. I do not expect you would have any long term problems with either, I sold my 1340GT after having it for 7 years and probably it was just getting broken in when I sold it, never had any problems with it. If anything some of the feed controls were a bit stiff until they are worn in. I currently have an ERL-1340, but much more expensive and headstock is about 4" wider than the 1340GT. If your planning on doing mostly small work, you can't go wrong with either the 1236T or 1340GT, not much else out there that is the same quality at the price level. I liked the 1340GT just because it was a bit bigger than a 1236, foot print wise they will be about the same. The 1K price difference can get you a QCTP, DRO and maybe a better chuck. Really depends on how tight of budget you are working off of. Chucks have been discussed quite a bit, if you plan on using a 3J scroll, consider upgrading to the Chandox Taiwanese Set-Tru type, otherwise their 4J independent is very good quality at the price point.

I went with the 3 phase version with a VFD, I feel you get better surface finish and less long term motor problems seen with single phase motors. Starting out with the 2 Hp motor is probably a better option with a VFD, gives you more usable torque and Hp. You also get fast braking with a VFD, which was one of my concerns with not having a mechanical foot brake.

The ERL-1340 is out of my budget for sure as little as I'll probably be doing with the machine. I originally was decided on the 1236T but of course started checking on the next step up. I just don't know if its worth the $1k extra step for my occasional needs. I first started looking a step up because of the larger motor more than the increased work size capabilities. I will definitely be installing the VFD.

While there may be some hard to quantify differences, the black and white differences are:
Similarly equipped +$1500 (1236T vs 1340GT + PEP, the base 1236T includes more stuff than the base 1340GT)
1340 provides +1" swing
+1/2" over the cross slide
+4" between centers
+1/2hp
+2 years warranty (3 vs 5)

1340 is 250lbs heavier but also larger so probably not a great deal more rigid

Beyond that they are essentially identical with the same bed width, spindle bore and D1-4 cam-lock mount, 12 speeds 90-1600 RPM, same travel on compound and cross slide etc.

That $1500 savings means for the same price you could get the 1236T with stand, installed DRO and a QCTP.

The 1440 is a big jump in capacity over either the 1236 or 1340 with a larger spindle bore, much more weight etc. But not a huge difference between the 1236T and 1340GT. For the price the 1236T looks like the better value to me unless I'm missing something.

I'd go with the 1340, just because of the larger envelope. Especially if there is the slightest chance you'll need the extra 4".
Buy Once - Cry Once?

Back