The Pm-1440gt Has Landed

Really nice modifications. I am thinking about the DRO Pros product for my SB 10K. The scales will barely fit and then they will cover the gib screws for the top slide. I can make it work with spacers. Are you happy with the product and was it reasonably easy to set up? I see I will need drill extension to drill holes in the cross slide and saddle? Also hard to tap those. I am torn between that and just doing something with a digital caliper like you did with the tailstock.
Coincidentally, I installed the same tach as you. I love it.
Robert

I am very happy with the EL400 and magnetic scales. I found the scales and read heads easy to get aligned using a TDI.

It's been a few years since I have been around a SB10. I'm sure you will need to custom fabricate all the mounts.

If I recall the SB13 had the follower rest mount on the back of the saddle. I'm not sure about the SB10. If so you could use those holes for the read head mount. If not a drill extension is easy enough to make. I tapped those holes by hand as there was enough room on my lathe for the tap handle, just a little slow manipulating the t-handle back and forth.

I learned on machines before DRO's and now I have no interest in having one without. I think it would be worth the effort.

The scales will barely fit and then they will cover the gib screws for the top slide. I can make it work with spacers.
another alternative is mount it on the spindle side of the cross slide. You have to do a really good job of making a cover for it to protect it from chips.

Thanks for the picture Jay. I am in the process on mine and hope to finish this weekend. It will be a bit more blocky and utilitarian than yours.

Thanks again.

Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I mount it spindle side, I will eventually machine it in half with the chuck jaws! I will put it on the back side with standoffs. I think the read head will fit with a shorter bracket. I think I can cut down the cover and keep the scale below the cross slide top.
There are a couple of inconsistencies in the video. My cross slide travel is 5.75. The worksheet says I will need a 10" scale. The video says I can use a 8" scale. Which is correct? Also in the video it says alignment of the gap between the scale and the read head must be .1mm or less. That seems pretty precise for the Z axis to maintain. Is that really true? Does he mean .1 inches ? That would make more sense.
Robert

Thanks for the picture Jay. I am in the process on mine and hope to finish this weekend. It will be a bit more blocky and utilitarian than yours.

Thanks again.

Brad

Your welcome Brad. As long as it works its all good. Post some pictures when you are done.

If I mount it spindle side, I will eventually machine it in half with the chuck jaws! I will put it on the back side with standoffs. I think the read head will fit with a shorter bracket. I think I can cut down the cover and keep the scale below the cross slide top.
There are a couple of inconsistencies in the video. My cross slide travel is 5.75. The worksheet says I will need a 10" scale. The video says I can use a 8" scale. Which is correct? Also in the video it says alignment of the gap between the scale and the read head must be .1mm or less. That seems pretty precise for the Z axis to maintain. Is that really true? Does he mean .1 inches ? That would make more sense.
Robert

I remember the worksheet being contradictory to the video. I think the 8" scale will do up to 8" of travel. They add for the length of the read head. I got the 10" and trimmed it a little so the scale is now about 11-1/2" plus the end caps.

They must mean 1mm for the gap. They provide a shim to set the gap. Using a TDI I was able to get my Z scale within a few thou over the 36"+ of travel. After the scale is aligned setting the gap is pretty easy using the shim.

Reactions: rwm
Hi Jay,

Just received the 10x40 kit from DroPro! Got one question. Since the 10" X axis scale 15.5" long and the X axis body is only 13.75" long, how did you end up mounting the scale? I can't really tell from the pict you posted, looks like it might be mounted flush on the front and just left to hang off the back with some homemade bracket?

Also, with the scale mounted on the back side of the X axis it's covering the X axis lock down bolt, did you move this to the front or find that it's really not necessary and will hold position?

Thanks

Hi Jay,

Just received the 10x40 kit from DroPro! Got one question. Since the 10" X axis scale 15.5" long and the X axis body is only 13.75" long, how did you end up mounting the scale? I can't really tell from the pict you posted, looks like it might be mounted flush on the front and just left to hang off the back with some homemade bracket?

Also, with the scale mounted on the back side of the X axis it's covering the X axis lock down bolt, did you move this to the front or find that it's really not necessary and will hold position?

Thanks

I will post some pictures when I get home.

Yes it covers the lock. The lathe at the school has the scale mounted on standoffs for access to the lock screw. It's a huge magnet for crud and drives me nuts so I opted not to do that. I put a friction lock on the front side. Got that idea from MKSJ.

Oh I keep forgetting to ask. What do you deisel?

Back