The Pm-1440gt Has Landed

Cool. My dad had a 80's diesel Cadillac that was a bit of a pig.

I used to have a 93' D-250 w/5.9L Cummins. The last year of the mechanical rotary injection pumps. I put in custom injectors, high pressure injection pump and sequential turbos which then in turn required a performance transmission build and converting to disc brakes. It would hit 55lbs of boost but I had to keep it under 45 in fear of lifting the head without studding it. Not the most environmentally friendly vehicle especially living in the belly of the beast here in California. I have about a half a dozen formal complaints from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District for darkening intersections. They kept suggesting I have a mechanic check my vehicle.

When my kids were little when getting on the freeway I would put the tranny in towing mode which drops out the overdrive and stomp on it. That would throw them back in the seat, then at about 60 I would have them hit the OD. That would chirp the tires and throw them back again grinning ear to ear. Of course no one behind me could see a thing. I miss that truck.

If I mount it spindle side, I will eventually machine it in half with the chuck jaws!
Good point. That would turn a crash into a complete disaster. Nothing like having a $170 sacrificial scale in front of your cross slide to protect it.

I don't do a lot of work with my chuck jaws extended that far, so hadn't really thought of that scenario.

I will post some pictures when I get home.

Yes it covers the lock. The lathe at the school has the scale mounted on standoffs for access to the lock screw. It's a huge magnet for crud and drives me nuts so I opted not to do that. I put a friction lock on the front side. Got that idea from MKSJ.

Here are some better photos of the cross slide scale mounting. The end caps are about 3/16" to 1/4" in from the ends of the cross slide.

xscale01.png
xscale02.png
xscale03.png
xscale04.png

The photos above are in the full forward position. You can see at the back there is another inch of travel. Sometime over the summer I am going to look at adding a spacer to the front and getting a longer lead screw to extent the travel.

Here is the cross slide full rear to the stop. That is 6.4" on my lathe. The stop is a washer held by a cap screw.

xscale06.png
xscale05.png

With the washer removed I can get another inch of travel but that puts the lead screw nut at less than 50% engagement.

xscale07.png

I leave the stop off so I can get the center of the pivot point for the compound centered with the spindle. I used that pivot point for a radius turning tool.

RT04.png
HW11.png

Here is the friction lock for the cross slide. The plate needs to be stiffer. Steel would be a better choice. I will eventually redo this one.

CrossLock01.png

Thanks Jay, are you sure you didn't buy the 8x40 and not the 10x40?

IMG_20170104_054700.jpg

Another option to retain access to the cross slide lock is to mount the scale on stand-offs and install a sliding cover over the assembly to keep the chips out. I turned my scale with the reading side facing down. If I recall correctly, this orientation took up less real estate than having the scale on its side plus the width of the offset, plus the reader. The additional plus to this installation is that I was able to provide some protection for the scale and reader from tailstock bumps by the overhang of the scale bracket. There are some pics of this install in my build thread if interested.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, are you sure you didn't buy the 8x40 and not the 10x40?

It was the 10x40. I trimmed about 1-5/8" off the scale. Your scale looks 1/2" to 5/8" longer than the one I received.

It was the 10x40. I trimmed about 1-5/8" off the scale. Your scale looks 1/2" to 5/8" longer than the one I received.

Yup, just finished trimming mine as well!

You guys are gonna laugh. The scale mounting holes just happen to line up with the X axis gib adjustments (so I can't drill and tap), so I used some 3M double sides sticky tape :eek: , the 1MM thick super good stuff. Right or wrong, we'll see how long it lasts, but I've hung networking equipment with it that has held for years.

IMG_20170104_122755.jpg

Yup, just finished trimming mine as well!

You guys are gonna laugh. The scale mounting holes just happen to line up with the X axis gib adjustments (so I can't drill and tap), so I used some 3M double sides sticky tape :eek: , the 1MM thick super good stuff. Right or wrong, we'll see how long it lasts, but I've hung networking equipment with it that has held for years.

Hmmmm...I drilled and tapped mine. If I recall the casing was relatively thin in this area and there was clearance behind for the screws.

One concern I would have with the double stick tape is keeping oil off of it.

3M makes some amazing adhesive tapes. I've used some 3M 3 mil thick specialty tape for holding parts for machining. Cool stuff.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
What is this? How big it is?

My guess: hand wheel to replace the cheesy aluminum ones on his lathe (my lathe has the same ones, and it bugs me every time I lay my hands on them).

Beautiful work. 5" in diameter? Maybe for the carriage travel?

Back