The Power of Smallᵀᴹ

magicniner

Registered
Registered
This equipment can mold parts that are larger than itself.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it can pump enough molten plastic to make parts larger than itself?
I'm assuming that if you add all the components required to make a part bigger than that equipment it's total volume and footprint will extend quite significantly?

RWanke

Registered
Registered
I don't think plastics has a place on a machinist forum.

[moderator's note: This vendor has done a lot to support our site and encourage hobby machining. They belong here.]

When I was working in the machine shop of the company that employed me we turned a LOT of plastic. Big plastic bearings. I'm talking 9" OD x 8" ID x 18' long.

Plastiblocks

H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
When I was working in the machine shop of the company that employed me we turned a LOT of plastic. Big plastic bearings. I'm talking 9" OD x 8" ID x 18' long.
Our largest current diameter is 8" x 24 long solid injection molded plastic. However, we can make larger parts without difficulty. Just so far didn't have any demand for larger diameter solid rods.

Plastiblocks

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
Yes I was machining plastic parts for textile plants in the mid 70’s. In fact here locally there is a shop that machines plastic exclusively. I have a lot of Delrin UMHW in my material pile. Most is old fixtures that came from Eaton that I picked up before retirement.

I just got sent a Quill wheel to take the place of an handle on my Lagun by Jim Enos. The hub that the wheel is mounted to is UMHW. I had to machine a spacer to move the wheel out away form the quill feed clutch engagement lever. I machined it up out of Delrin that I repurposed.

I posted a video to my channel. I machined a lot of things out of rectangular stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
I have a textile machine shop... I've turned a lot of plastic in my time...

View attachment 281570
That looks like my home shop turning rectangular stock round on an arbor. I used to make hubs for tire treatment stands for kart racers just that way. In fact I recently made some hubs if for a friend.

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
I thought I’d add I have a lot of rectangular plastic stock. In fact I need more round stock and to purchase it is expensive. So I do like woodworkers take square pieces of stock and turn them round for stock.

Plastiblocks

If the shop that you worked for still exists, they should try our products, all of our blocks and rods are low stress, machine grade.

Plastiblocks

Opportunity is Knocking

cekestner

Registered
Registered
Machining is machining, in aluminum, steel, plastics or wood. It is still machining.

I often prototype something in wood or plastic to get the kinks out before doing it in metal for the final. It is a great way to save time and money, and easy to fix problems.
I recall when I spent two 8-hour turns making some shifting forks, and when I got to the final operations I realised that I had made them in a mirror image of the actually required part.

I headed for the bandsaw and cut one out of a scrap 2x4 and put it near the Cincinnati's vise so I could make the next two forks correctly.

Prototyping out of plastics or wood is hard to beat.

bhigdog

Registered
Registered
Whenever a left, right, or mirror image part is required remember... Bob's Law.
If there is a 50-50% chance of it being correct it will be wrong 75% of the time...........Bob

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While we are on the subject of, "made here".
I've been working for Ford dealerships since 1976.
The dealership I started at had parts manuals back to the 20's. For decades you could repair parts and components. Remember the old cam driven diaphram fuel pumps?
Heck, you could buy the diaphram, gasket, spring etc. Starters, generators could all be rebuilt. We would grind valves and replace bearings, hone cylinders, brake cylinders would be rebuilt. Unheard of today. It wasn't until 80's that we migrated into assemblies.
Now days, we don't rebuild a transmission, it would be cost prohibitive. We sell a factory remanufactured unit that carries a 3 year unlimited parts and labor warranty. If we rebuilt it, you would get 90 day labor and 24 months on defective parts.
The business has changed!

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
The dealership I started at had parts manuals back to the 20's. For decades you could repair parts and components. Remember the old cam driven diaphram fuel pumps?
Heck, you could buy the diaphram, gasket, spring etc. Starters, generators could all be rebuilt. We would grind valves and replace bearings, hone cylinders, brake cylinders would be rebuilt. Unheard of today. It wasn't until 80's that we migrated into assemblies.
Now days, we don't rebuild a transmission, it would be cost prohibitive. We sell a factory remanufactured unit that carries a 3 year unlimited parts and labor warranty. If we rebuilt it, you would get 90 day labor and 24 months on defective parts.
I hear that about change! But like engine and trans rebuilding you mention " cost prohibitive ". I've seen firsthand the rebuilders are cutting corners and 99% of rebuilds don't last as long as OEM, but just long enough to get by the warranty. And I for one miss being able to rebuild my cars but cannot think of a single plastic thing that could rebuilt.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Good point C-Bag. Before my 2002 F-150 burned in the fire, it had the original transmission, the engine did not burn a drop of oil. It had 257,000 miles on the old 5.4 l engine.

cekestner

Registered
Registered
I remember when one of the local Ford dealers lied to me about how "Ford doesn't sell the fan motor separate from the fan assembly, which is $ 650."

Two hours later, with only $ 71.00 duked to the auto parts store, the replacement fan motor was operational in my 1991 Taurus.

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Sometimes I run mock ups in Plastiblock, my bike's seat, I made the bushing it pivots on out of Plastiblock. So many uses invaluable to machinists IMO.

Attachments

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock