The Power of Smallᵀᴹ

magicniner

Registered
Registered
This equipment can mold parts that are larger than itself.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it can pump enough molten plastic to make parts larger than itself?
I'm assuming that if you add all the components required to make a part bigger than that equipment it's total volume and footprint will extend quite significantly?

RWanke

Registered
Registered
I don't think plastics has a place on a machinist forum.

[moderator's note: This vendor has done a lot to support our site and encourage hobby machining. They belong here.]

When I was working in the machine shop of the company that employed me we turned a LOT of plastic. Big plastic bearings. I'm talking 9" OD x 8" ID x 18' long.

Plastiblocks

H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
When I was working in the machine shop of the company that employed me we turned a LOT of plastic. Big plastic bearings. I'm talking 9" OD x 8" ID x 18' long.
Our largest current diameter is 8" x 24 long solid injection molded plastic. However, we can make larger parts without difficulty. Just so far didn't have any demand for larger diameter solid rods.

Plastiblocks

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered

Yes I was machining plastic parts for textile plants in the mid 70’s. In fact here locally there is a shop that machines plastic exclusively. I have a lot of Delrin UMHW in my material pile. Most is old fixtures that came from Eaton that I picked up before retirement.

I just got sent a Quill wheel to take the place of an handle on my Lagun by Jim Enos. The hub that the wheel is mounted to is UMHW. I had to machine a spacer to move the wheel out away form the quill feed clutch engagement lever. I machined it up out of Delrin that I repurposed.

I posted a video to my channel. I machined a lot of things out of rectangular stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
I have a textile machine shop... I've turned a lot of plastic in my time...

View attachment 281570

That looks like my home shop turning rectangular stock round on an arbor. I used to make hubs for tire treatment stands for kart racers just that way. In fact I recently made some hubs if for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock