The Press Tool, and the Drill Bit Extension !

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i have a job in the shop that requires a long cylinder to aid in the pressing of bearings onto a shaft, far inboard.
i have gotten away with bludgeoning an a poor, oversized, sacrificial black iron pipe for too many years
the pipe has become less useful, from shortening too many times.
Sure i could, buy another piece of pipe for $10, but it doesn't really have the best ID for my use as a press tool.
this tool is intended for use in the reconditioning of proprietary 10hp 3 phase motors, which i do several times a year.
to justify, the investment of time is worth the lifespan of the tool-
so a decision was made, to make a little time to make baby steps to a full time solution.

in between calls today, i was able to start construction from an idea in my head.
the idea is to drill and bore a 1.390"ID x 8.5" deep hole in a piece of hi grade scrap 60mm low carbon steel about 9.5" long
i intend to leave the tool closed ended and plan to bore to leave about 1" thick on the end.

i mounted the shaft in the Victor 2040.
i parted off the unnecessary features of the old purpose steel and found a nice 34' length hidden inside!!!
(parting on a large lathe is a dream- no machine moaning or power deficiencies here!)

i drilled to 1/4' as far as i could go, then chucked up the biggest bit i had on hand was a 5/8" reduced shank drill.
i drilled to 5/8" as far as i could and then bored to 1.260", leaving material for finishing cuts.
the depth of the holes i have made are insufficient....

i toyed with the idea of constructing a drill extension, that would fit in a 1/2" drill chuck and hold 1/2" tools.
next thing i know, i grabbed some 1" OD 1144 and started to set up for whittlin' on it on the Shenwai 1236
i reduced the stock to .950" and cut the small end to .500"
i chucked the small end and center drilled
i added the tailstock center to the equation and took a skim off the OD of the large end to true it up
i drilled the large end to 15/32"
i bored the socket to .500" ,for a push fit onto a carbide endmill (as a test standard)
i broke all the edges and preped for secondary ops
i mounted the newly turned extension in the vise of the BP and took a .025" cut, to flatten the extension on one side.
i drilled and tapped 2 1/4"-20tpi holes for set screws
i tested the extension fit on a 5/8 S&D drill bit, and it fits snugly :grin:
it was time to go home , so i decided to call it a day.

i took a couple pictures before i left of the drill extension.

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

lastly, the extension mounted in the Victor 2040!

IMG_4032.jpg

i made a tool to hold a tool, to do something else :grin:

i'll take a few shots of the tool progression tomorrow!
same bat channel !!!

I'm in love with your smallish foot print machine. Nicely done. A 16 x 30 :p

Nice! I did a hackey version of that for drilling out tall vase centers for my wood lathe. It turned out to be very useful. It was not as well done as yours though.

Yes, this drill extension trick is a good one, and surprisingly easy. I made a 24” extension for a woodworking project and an 8” extension for my Silver & Deming drills. Doing this solves some problems that are more or less impossible otherwise.

Would love to hear more about the Victor 2040. That is currently my dream machine.

Back