The Retractor

Very neat, looking more like a modified toolholder with a plate screwed on.
I've been considering that very thing, but the last one I modified was HARD. I wasted a new carbide endmill. The slot is probably doable, the tapped holes would be another matter.

I've been considering that very thing, but the last one I modified was HARD. I wasted a new carbide endmill. The slot is probably doable, the tapped holes would be another matter.
They are usually case hardened, a carbide slot drill, or drill can remove the case ready for drilling + tapping.

They are usually case hardened, a carbide slot drill, or drill can remove the case ready for drilling + tapping.
That was what I expected, but was not the "case" for the one I modified. It was a knurling tool. I removed the ears for the knurls and extended the slot the length of the block. It was hard all the way down. Of course, they may not all be like that.

Sorry, I meant adding a plate to a standard quick release toolholder.

It's good to get lucky once in awhile. Seems it happens more often as I get older. Maybe He/She/It that runs things starts to give us a break as we get up there in age. Mike

Turns out the height adjusting screw is perfectly postioned as a reset stop.

My purchase of one of these retractors arrived today and I'm thrilled. I can't test it just yet because the Smithy is setup for gear cutting just now. So later this week I'll see it in action. Thank you Mr. Whoopee.

I couldn't find the post where a batch of these was offered for sale.
temp.jpg

DanK

Well, here we are about a year and half later and today was one of the first times to really use this retractor in a project. I had two sets of threads to cut in mild steel and the first one went perfectly. The second one was a fluke probably due to my pushing the limits of how close to a shoulder this can release. Long story short, on one of the last passes the release tripped as usual but the turning coasted just enough to slam a burr that accumulated at the end of thread onto the insert. I was crowding a shoulder too closely to let it coast and clear the end of cut burr each time. The carbide bit kinda exploded. No other harm done. I'm still proud of the threading job it did.

I do not know inserts and how to identify them, so I need help finding replacement inserts for this. It doesn't seem to be indexable. Help?

DanK

Well, here we are about a year and half later and today was one of the first times to really use this retractor in a project. I had two sets of threads to cut in mild steel and the first one went perfectly. The second one was a fluke probably due to my pushing the limits of how close to a shoulder this can release. Long story short, on one of the last passes the release tripped as usual but the turning coasted just enough to slam a burr that accumulated at the end of thread onto the insert. I was crowding a shoulder too closely to let it coast and clear the end of cut burr each time. The carbide bit kinda exploded. No other harm done. I'm still proud of the threading job it did.

I do not know inserts and how to identify them, so I need help finding replacement inserts for this. It doesn't seem to be indexable. Help?

DanK
Help could occour in the form of learning to grind and use HSS tools, which are much more forgiving of such collisions and cheaper by far to purchase and maintain; I mostly use the preground Aloris threading tools, a bit pricey on purchase, but easily sharpened and last a very long time.

Back