• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

The Russians are coming

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So what do the dead guys have to do with machining

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
It looks like a heavy duty /precise level,you look through the eyepiece to see if the upper zero is exactly on the the same mark as the lower.

Uglydog

Active User
Is this a level?
I'm looking forward to learning more about how this works.

Daryl
MN

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
??

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Russian made things tend to be built like a tank, really heavy and fairly simple, my lathe is russian made and is a beast, 13,5 hp motor sounds like an jet engine when running i'm very satisfied with the quality and precision, they do know how to make an heavy duty machine.
DSC_0016.jpg DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0014.jpg

fernballan

Is this a level?
I'm looking forward to learning more about how this works.

Daryl
MN
Precision optical clinometers have a 360 degree operating range reading to either 30 seconds or to 1 second. They are used for accurate measurement or setting of angles, calibration, alignment, machine setting, boresighting, fire control alignment, and inspection.

That's right Ck there tank engines from ww11 , just about any that will turn will start and run. Nic youtuber I watch has a mas Russian lathe it does sound like a jet engine winding up . He was building a center rest recently did a DERN good job too.

ddickey

I was told the older Enterprise Lathes made in India were mostly Russian. Not sure what that means if they designed them or if they built them in India for a time.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
It is surprising to me how little russian made machinery and tooling is in the US i presume is something to do with enemies at war, here in europe russian machines are cheaper than german machines and parts are still available as they don't make changes in their design even after 60 years in production , there are some things made in russia that are crap, like: electrics, light cars, clothing, tires and others.

fernballan

It is surprising to me how little russian made machinery and tooling is in the US i presume is something to do with enemies at war, here in europe russian machines are cheaper than german machines and parts are still available as they don't make changes in their design even after 60 years in production , there are some things made in russia that are crap, like: electrics, light cars, clothing, tires and others.
I think it was prestige and the cold war and they do not manufacture much in inches
Here in Sweden, they change the names of Russian machineers, so Sanko are called profila and labeled USSR not CCCP

Last edited:

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
they change the names of Russian machineers, so Sanko are called profila and labeled USSR not CCCP
The label USSR was used on all exported machines, the CCCP is only the russian font same meaning, tools and machines with CCCP have been sold in russia for their domestic market and then both over on the black market dealers, even today carbide inserts made in russia and bulgaria are extremely cheap and better then some of the china ones, couple months back in bulgaria i bought an box of 10 carbide inserts made in bulgaria for 4$ US wich is 10x cheeper than others.

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

Janderso

A month later....
I rented a Lada SUV in the early 1980's from Hertz. It was in Haiti-Port Au Prince. When I walked up to the vehicle I wasn't sure what it was. No Internet back then but based on the writing-alphabet I deduced it was a Russian made vehicle.
It worked, nothing fancy very utilitarian.
Kind of a baby poop green color.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I rented a Lada SUV in the early 1980's from Hertz.
I presume you are talking about a Lada Niva, like one in the picture, they are common vehicles here, incredibly tough and capable small 4x4's with absolutely no comfort, every gear up is like firing one more engine, that said i don't know a person that has killed a lada niva beyond repair.
lada-niva.jpg

WesPete66

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I see the one pictured has the latest in air ride suspension! :grin:

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I've put the link to an old swedish Niva commercial, the strange thing is almost all Lada drivers drive like that, is not uncommon to see a Niva in a traffic jam jump the sidewalk drive thru a trail to join other road and those cars take it day after day.
Link:

Glenn Brooks

I have to give credit to the guy running up the stairs with the camera. That is a real feat!

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]