The shift hit the fan this morning !

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
:grin: I'll find out Friday morning if I'm retired or on a contractural agreement or just plain unemployed . Either way , I'm going forward .

If you're "retired" ask for a lump sum payout of your benefits including 401K, pension, any unused vacation and sick leave time, etc., etc. If you're now a "contractor" ask for a pay rate that includes the amount normally paid in benefits like life and health insurance, sick days and vacation days, and the copay for Social Security.

After I was bought out the company offered nearly double the amount I was being paid to come back as a contractor. It sounded good on the surface, but they wanted me to do things like shut down production facilities and move production lines from one plant to another prior to shutting down the plant the lines were removed from.

The money was good, but the jobs sucked. I spent more than 20 years trying to get the people in the production facilities to trust me, I wasn't going to undo that for a couple bucks. They bugged me to take the job for over 6 months, each time with more pay and incentives. I passed on the offers and don't regret it for a minute.

Last edited:
:grin: I'll find out Friday morning if I'm retired or on a contractural agreement or just plain unemployed . Either way , I'm going forward .
Ouch, sorry to hear, but you have the right attitude.

The best thing that has happened to me was when the plant shut down and I went on my own. No more rotating night shift . In the long run the income was also way better. You have the right attitude to move forward. Someone with skills will always find good income.

After 33 years of verbal and physical abuse, being on call 24/7/365 working the last 5 years without one day off, yes without one day off, I was diagnosed with CFS by the company doctor. I was put on massive amounts of drugs that didn't do anything. In a brief sane moment, I committed to early retirement, sold everything I owned moved from NJ to Fla, Built an 800 sq shop on my newly purchased 2 acres, started a business, and 21 years later I am living, happier ever after. I closed the business about 5 years ago but still keep busy in the shop, Just enjoyed my 79th birthday yesterday.

Back