The Stars Have Been In Alignment For Me This Week. Just Got My First Lathe, A D/r 11x36, 25-100

I know he has, but my cross feed screw is so worn that it wouldn't do me much good to replace just the nut. I think I'll stick with what I have until I can find both. They're not difficult to change out.

Do you have a taper attachment? If not, just order a nook screw and make a new one. The telescoping screw is only needed for the taper. Tim

Yes, I have a taper attachment. That's why I'm still looking.

Tony, do you have any pics of the cross slide screw? I may have found someone to make it. I am thinking that I may have one that is not telescoping to get my machine working, if not I am still looking because the screw I have is not an original size. Tim

I'll try to get a couple pics tomorrow. The difficult part is that the screw for the taper attachment has a keyed hole about four inches long in one end. The keys would have to be swaged and I expect it would have to be a custom made swage, unless someone could come up with an original from Delta Rockwell. You'll see what I'm talking about when I send the pics.

They were actuall broached, it was made as 2 pieced, once broached, it was silver brazed together with the other half of that part of the screw then the acme theread were cut. I found mine and will take a few pics of it tonight, so dont worry about it. I think that there is a better way to make it, its just finding someone to do it. Tim

Finally got the headstock back together. Took me a full two days. I have had a heck of a time getting the shifter aligned and the safety mechanism adjusted. Still not exactly right, but it will wait for another day. Looks pretty good. Forgot to take a shot of it upright, but I'll post one next week. Looking at the pics, I just realized I haven't yet cleaned the excess paint off the bottom of the headstock. I'll get that tomorrow.

2014-03-14_14-58-31_980.jpg2014-03-14_14-58-43_394.jpg

I also got the last coat of paint on all the castings. Not perfect, but looks ok. Wish I had time and some help, so I could get the bed painted as well, but that's going to have to wait until next time I get the itch. Still cleaning and working on getting the cabinet painted. I plan to paint the chip pan before I put the lathe back on it, but I'll probably wait on the cabinet.

I have decided the "Light Ford Gray" paint is a little too close to white for my taste, but what's done is done. I could have darkened the paint in the can, but I ended up spraying the last two coats from a rattle can. Painting with a brush just wasn't working well with this paint. The spray coats look much better.

Tim, I know you already pulled your cross feed screw, but here are a few pics of mine.

2014-03-13_11-26-32_568.jpg2014-03-14 14.38.41.jpg2014-03-14 14.38.51.jpg2014-03-14 14.39.13.jpg

2014-03-14_14-58-31_980.jpg 2014-03-14_14-58-43_394.jpg 2014-03-13_11-26-32_568.jpg 2014-03-14 14.38.41.jpg 2014-03-14 14.38.51.jpg 2014-03-14 14.39.13.jpg

Headstock complete! I'll reassemble the apron, carriage, and tailstock tomorrow.

2014-03-15_10-23-46_482.jpg

2014-03-15_10-23-46_482.jpg

I have seen a color very close to what I used on the later model 11s, which is why I went ahead with it. Now that it's done, though, I would have preferred a little more gray to it. One thing is sure, you can easily tell when the lathe needs to be cleaned...or at least wiped off!

I have finished the tailstock and apron. The saddle needs a little more work. I've been doing a little polishing - nasty, dirty work. I'll be working on getting the chip pan ready for paint today and maybe finish up some polish work.

More pics maybe today. My phone battery is shot and I only get about one or two pics or calls before it's done. Just depends on which comes first - the calls or the pics. I should have a new battery by the weekend.

Still looking for a cross feed screw in NOS or excellent condition, if anybody has a lead on one. Mine is very worn in the middle. Not worth putting it through a new nut at this point.

I have been reading up on the use of acetal for feed nuts and the thought has been rolling around in my head that I might take my old screw and turn the threads to where they are all even and the same dimension, then make a feed nut out of acetal for it. That wouldn't change the feed rate at all and should take out all backlash. Any reason why that would not work? At the very least, I think it would extend the useful life of the worn-out screw I have.

Back