The Truth be Told

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
Not counting my family and friends the thing I am most grateful for is all the members here who share their time and knowledge with the ever growing membership that reaches out to us in a search for this knowledge.
So many times have I read of your thanking us for the staff efforts to keep this place running smooth. But in reality, we are just your back up. without you people, there would be no need of us.
In the not to distant feature we, with your help, will become the biggest and best site on the "World Wide" web.
And I for one am proud to say I helped out.
**Gator**

On another site, , when I first got my lathe and mill/drill I asked innocently about the PC brand chuck that came with them. The nicest replies were merely snotty, other ones were more personal. Since I was a ticketed millwright working in maintenance shop , retired now, my job was fixing machinists mistakes on almost daily basis, my back went up. Operators and engineers also helped pay the mortgage .

No, this is a nice site to hang around.

And we will stay this way because of people like you.
**G**

I am a member on most of the machinist boards. I only hang out on this one. But when the other sites come up in a google search I can see the pic's or download a pdf that I need.

We cannot disparage "other forums," much as we might feel tempted. That makes us them, and that we cannot be,

On September 10, 2010, the day I thought about what happened to me elsewhere, I was walking to my job, I realized like most others these days, I ought to have a web site for my career, So I bought my name as a domain. At the same time, I realized that I could put another domain on the web hosting service. I was very hurt and dejected about what happened when I sought to learn about machining online. I had bought a machine, which still lies in pieces to this day (a SB Heavy 10 lathe), and I had questions about how to get it working. I decided to open a little "answer site" that I could use to get some help. When I got to work, I looked up domain names. I was a lawyer who wanted to machine as a hobby, so I figured "hobby machinist" would be a good name, but it was taken. The same guy has owned it since 2005 without using it. He keeps renewing it, claiming he is going to start a machinist site. I offered him $750 out of my own pocket for it, but he declined. So I went with hobby-machinist, which his probably correct grammar anyway. I set it up with free forum software from the web host. Took me 5 days or so to get it running. Once along the way, someone hacked it, and destroyed it. So that is why September 15 is our official anniversary date.

I have no desire for us to be the biggest or best. Only for us to be the most helpful and most welcoming. That we can be.
We always need to help others, and to share what we know. Some people who know a lot, have sadly decided we are not worth sharing with.
One of them Adam Booth, Abom79, maker of many wonderful YouTube videos, has not participated here since 2014, although he has been here recently. He also ignored my friendshp overtures. That is what makes me saddest, that there are such skilled people out there who bear grudges, some for many years now, and will not share their wonderful skills with us. After all, we don't wish to make money from the knowledge, only to learn and be educated by them.

And that is what makes me saddest, I suppose. The lack of sharing by some of the most skilled.
I beg them to reconsider this, and help us to learn from them.
Some people are just hard, I suppose.

Through the 40 + yrs of my career as a machinist, toolmaker & designer. I learned a lot from the "old Timers" at places I have worked. Many will help the newbie only if they feel he wants to learn. I carried on that thought through the years. I will always help someone who wants to learn when I can. And one thing I have found out through the years is that no matter how much you think you know. There is always something new to learn.

I too have memberships at some other sites, but this is the only one I visit daily.

I have no desire for us to be the biggest or best. Only for us to be the most helpful and most welcoming.

In my book "the most helpful and the most welcoming" would make it the "best"!

(EDIT: ....and we are already there!)

-brino

Back