The two large gears have a 9-42-j and 9-86-j if that helps. I want to convert it to a 10 inch if possible.

So......what is the actual question?

do you know what machine this is south bend 9 jr or something else

Ron, thanks for the PM with the serial # (44182A). I know I sent this back via PM, but I'd like to close the loop here for any other searchers who might need assistance in identifying an old one like this. My saga on identification started with Grizzly and (or this post here) getting the serial card (prior to 1940, the cards are really not much as they were converted from ledger information into the serial cards that South Bend used for a number of decades after). If anyone wants to go that route, you can see my blog post or google search for the serial card info. It's done electronically.

Also, a great resource was put together by Tony Wells. http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.html . It can at least get you close to the year for sale of your lathe. A quick note - 9" lathes leading up to 1938 are vastly different from 9" toolroom lathes that started being built in 1936 (yes, there is some overlap there). Compatibility is NIL between them. The earlier 9" juniors are also nicknamed "heavy 9's", and they are more apt to fit parts from heavy 10's. (Yes, I tried it before I realized the Heavy 10 headstock was an under drive, and that commenced a full project to build a Heavy 10).

Back