The Yellow Premie

Allen

Active User
Registered
This thing has been half completed for way too long. It's going to be my rainy day project for fall.

I was looking to make something to run with Kim's 'Americanized' Wilesco D405 when we saw an Avery Yellow Baby at an engine show in New Centreville, Pa.
P9120038.jpg

The Avery company painted their threshers yellow. They came in 3 sizes, the "Yellow Fellow" was the largest, followed by the "Yellow Kid" and the "Yellow Baby".
BHu9w2kKGrHgoH-DkEjlLly9hRBKpcHkw3g.jpg
BHwngB2kKGrHgoH-CcEjlLlzSkuBKpcMnD_.jpg

The sturdiest and simplest way I could think of to make it was an acrylic box plated with coffee stirrers and basswood.
P9130001.jpg

The cylinder even has teeth (carpet tacks through coffee stirrers mounted on a wooden spool), and the shaker ladders are fully 'functional'
P9160004.jpg
PA220001.jpg

Two acrylic 'windows' allow glimpses inside
PA230002.jpg

PA240003.jpg

The wind stacker pipe is abs plastic. It rotates, but doesn't extend
PA240002.jpg

There isn't a whole lot left to fabricate, but I do need to go back through everything and see what I can do to reduce friction. It gets real stiff when the humidity goes up.

That's a neat machine your building. My Grand Father had an old Case Thresher that I never saw run, but I remember it sitting in the pasture for years and years. I don't know if it eventually rotted down or if perhaps someone aquired it.

Thanks for the pictures!

Back