There is a big problem with 3D printers

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am very concerned with what I see happening with 3D printing. Just look at the picture below, which shows what my friend made for me on his new printer. It terrifies me.

D5E2DEA4-F6C8-478A-84F4-C57A092F1923.jpeg

See, this little traffic cone is just too cute. And look at the next shot:

E4BFD492-3112-44AB-9A82-74F4E37967BA.jpeg

Here are some great little lead holders for 4 wire RTD probes…banana jacks go in the holes and exactly match the input to DMMs that have input and sense banana jacks, which is all the good ones. And look at that yellow thing in the back…we’re trying to make some spiders for chuck standoffs. Like in this next photo:

66FBD51A-6029-490D-890A-BAF5C7BB4A08.jpeg

We’re still in invention mode, but see, that’s the trouble. This stuff is so easy to do and distracting from making important metal things, I fear someday I will succumb and get one of these devil machines. I really hope not.

I only know a handful of guys who bought them. But with most of them, after they run out of stuff they can make from someone else's files, they're done with them.
On the plus side, I might actually buy one of those spiders. It seems like such a waste of material to make one out of metal. Which is why I still haven't done it.

When there is just no way to turn the corrugations in a Ka-Band microwave feed horn, you consider pushing together a lot of thin discs, and the errors mount up. I resorted to 3D printing provided by professionals. First 3D print a mandrel shape negative. Apply chemistry, and coat it conductive. Start a plating process, and build it up in copper. Apply chemistry again, and dissolve out the mandrel. Finishing with 10u silver, and less than 0.25u (a few thousand atoms thickness) of gold. Then we also have the stuff that is made with direct fused laser 3D printing, like tuned cavities. Rocket engine nozzles, turbine parts. They are also crushing expensive, but not even possible by machining.

You are absolutely right about the 3D printers most of us now see on eBay, Amazon, etc. and most of the self-builds using import ball-slides and stepper motors. Also, you may be right about how far folk like us can apply them. One definitely has to add some CAD design and G-Code to the skill set. Stefan Gotteswinter needed a electrical connection enclosure to bolt to his tool sharpener motor, and it's nice, but I might have adaped some cheap metal box. Some guys print up component boxes when we all know the smart thing to do is to buy some. Quinn Dunki made a part to mount on lathe ways that had it's shortcomings. One is hostage to the feeble material properties of melt plastic.

The technology is still evolving. 3D printing definitely will play in our future. It can even make working replacement body parts like heart valves, and weaponry unheard of. I won't say never, but I think I agree about the limited direct application to our fun with metal in the workshop. I choose to learn some open source CAD, and maybe progress to 3D CNC, using much the same kit as 3D printing, except built better, with a milling router spindle instead of a computer-controlled glue-gun!

[Edit - I just remembered that @DavidR8 was getting well along the way in building his CNC router. I wonder what he thinks of 3D printers, because he may have given in to the temptation. ]

Last edited:
Fun rant.

I did the reverse, having started with 3D printing, and now only very gingerly moving into metals. A 3D printer can be massively useful, but mostly only if you are comfortable designing your own parts.

Metal working takes up way more space, generates more mess, is more dangerous, and is far, far more costly than 3D printing. The machines, tools, materials, etc., that you need, or at least want, are never-ending. But the search and desire for that next tool that you just know will finally make your workshop complete (until the one after that) is almost part of the fun.

Of course, you can make far stronger parts in metal. Plus cutting a good piece of brass or leaded steel can be oddly sensuous.

Last edited:
Used together, old school metal bashing and 3D printing are quite the powerful combination. I do both, though don't post about my 3DP stuff here as I've not thought most folks would be interested.
Yes, you need some CAD skills to make it genuinely useful, but it's a great soft gateway into that and CNC once you realise the skills are portable.
I knock up little jigs, holders, mandrels - all sorts - to compliment my metalworking. Even gasket templates.
For rapid prototyping it's unparalleled too. I sometimes print stuff before making in metal, it can save loads of wasted time and material.

I’m with [mention]Lo-Fi [/mention] I think 3d printing is super useful. For sure I like it because I can design my parts. I haven’t don’t much with, but remain interested in, hybrid parts where a printed portion is stiffened or strengthened with metal or composite inserts.

Render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar. Yes, for making odd-shaped/low-strength parts 3d printing is hard to beat. Things like R8 tool holders are already commonly 3d printed, but then, they are just a box for holding a tool when it is not in use.

Where 3d printing merges with metal parts is making "lost wax investment castings" (out of materials like PLA) for casting intricate parts. There is a hand engraver here in Arizona who makes small intricate parts that way. The parts are precise enough, that it only requires a final finishing pass to get them to precise dimensions. For those who build steam and model internal combustion engines, it allows detailed features to be cast.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a mid-high end 3d printer, like one of the top PRUSA printers. Like many here I have looked at the Cost and Learning curve associated with 3d modelling software. Many of the software houses don't want to sell you their product, but rather, want an annual subscription fee. The free/student versions of their code has serious limitations.

I find myself still sitting on the fence, I am not sure what is going to tip me to a decision (one way or another).

I've been sitting on the sidelines on 3d printing. Think it is a great thing for little gizmos and things that don't require high strength. What has kept me from getting one was not knowing 3d CAD.

This year, I removed that barrier. Took me 3 weeks, 6 days a week, 6 hours a day to learn FreeCAD. It was well worth the time I spent. I have used it to easily design things that I could make in the shop. One of the videos I watched showed a design, that was 3d printed from the model I had just completed. The lesson went through the steps of conversion to STL. That was eye opening.

For those that don't know, FreeCAD runs on Windows, Mac, & Linux. It is an open source 3D CAD program, actively developed and free. No fees, no subscriptions. It supports parametric design. Most of my designs have associated spreadsheets with them, which are directly associated with the model. This means a change made in the spreadsheet automatically changes the drawing. It is a very handy feature. FreeCAD is perfect for my use.

I'll be looking around for a 3d printer this year. If I knew what I was going to use it for, it would be easier to choose one. I'd like one that doesn't require too many upgrades, or fiddling just to get a decent print. Otherwise the printer becomes another rabbit hole to fall in. I want to make a few things, not to make upgrades for the short comings of the printer itself. I already fell into the machining rabbit hole, so don't want to fall into another hole (just yet).

I see 3d printing as complementary to machining.

I purchased a Creality 10s about 2.5 years ago. It has definitely paid for itself just for little projects around the shop and house. I haven't graduated beyond TinkerCad yet, but I'm getting pretty good at that. I have downloaded and installed FreeCAD but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.
I find myself telling my wife "We Can Print That" and it reminds me of this Portlandia episode:

Last edited:
Back