There is a big problem with 3D printers

I purchased a Creality 10s about 2.5 years ago. It has definitely paid for itself just for little projects around the shop and house. I haven't graduated beyond TinkerCad yet, but I'm getting pretty good at that. I have downloaded and installed FreeCAD but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.
FreeCAD didn't click for me either! It was a different way of thinking about things and initially very foreign to me. But I committed the time to keep on plodding away at learning it. Eventually I got it. After 3 weeks was a bit wobbly at it, but could make some things. Now, about 2 months later, I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

Assembly is another thing to learn. (Putting lots of parts together in the correct orientation.) Still working on being good at it, but can mostly get by.

Keep plugging away at it. Ask questions in the appropriate CAD sub forum, people are happy to help.

I’m so glad to know I’m not alone for all the same reasons as mentioned above.

Depends on the type of plastic used for durability. PLA is weak while PETG w/carbon fiber is pretty strong. All plastics are heat sensitive naturally.

Avoid Ender as the cheap price is reflected in what you have to upgrade! Prusa is better out of the box and their Slicer is much better.

Avoid Ender as the cheap price is reflected in what you have to upgrade! Prusa is better out of the box and their Slicer is much better.
That's exactly what I want to avoid, having to immediately upgrade just to get a half decent print. I have been to the Prusa site (many times) and stared at the prices. Yeah, buy once, cry once. Intellectually, I know this. There is a big difference in price, and it is hard to know, as a beginner, if it is worth it.

The conflict between being a cheapass and getting it to work right away is great! Maybe, if they have a sale...

What a bunch of Luddites! j/k

I purchased a Prusa printer back at the end of 2017. I was very surprised when I looked at its information screen yesterday and found out that I have printed a total accumulated time of around 177 days since I purchased it. I remember one of the first things I designed (Fusion 360) was a crockpot temperature control knob for the wife. She was very happy that I could print a new one for her and I was very happy that the first thing I printed showed that this new "toy" had some value.
Every tool, and every process we use, has a place in achieving an end goal. I could not, or would not, have a 3D printer without being able to utilize CAD to design my prints. I don't believe that I have ever downloaded someone else's design and printed it. A couple of years ago I switched over to Solidworks from Fusion, although Fusion is still a great option. FreeCad is also pretty good from what I hear. Make no mistake, it takes time and dedication to learn and implement a CAD system.
I originally bought the 3D printer for my RC hobby, but have since used it much more extensively in the shop. The items that I have made are too numerous to list but a few are... T-slot covers for my mill. Lathe tool holder storage. Switch box for lights on my mill. Outlet box extensions. Hold downs for my small shop vac cyclone system. But, one of the most useful items that I have printed is the transitions for the shop vac hose to various tools, whether it be my biscuit jointer, hand planer, dust extraction for my belt/disc sander and numerous other tools. How many times have you tried to hook up a shop vac only to find it doesn't quite fit and the only way to get it to work is duct tape. Well, that no longer happens in my shop.
As far as strength goes, there are LOT of factors that go into a 3D print that may affect strength. Infill, type of material, and print orientation are some of the immediate big ones. You can even anneal prints in the oven to increase strength.
Personally, I would not be without my 3D printer.

Mostly I think they are simply just fun. I've had a couple over the last few years and there have been a number of actually useful parts or dohickys I've made. Things like window screen corner brackets, calk tube plugs, solder station tool & tip holder and so on. It's neat if you need a small part and instead of driving to the store (I'm rural so 30-40 min trip) and the maybe finding what you need (in a 5 or 10 pack when you only need one) print your own. If you're not great with cad or designing your own you can likely find it on Thingiverse and someone has already done the work for you and you can download it for free. The prices have dropped considerably since I bought my first one and the print quality and reliability is great and keeps getting better. The selection of printers, parts and filiments is huge. You can print with sandable wood, metal, plastics... some can even be baked for excellent high strength properties. All that said they are another hobby... and if you're into machining and building, you'll likely get some enjoyment out of it!

Here are just a few things I printed for the shop.

Attachments

• 20220307_094916.jpg
    20220307_094916.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220307_095002.jpg
    20220307_095002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220307_095015.jpg
    20220307_095015.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220307_095025.jpg
    20220307_095025.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220307_095038.jpg
    20220307_095038.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220307_095059.jpg
    20220307_095059.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220307_095114.jpg
    20220307_095114.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 135
When there is just no way to turn the corrugations in a Ka-Band microwave feed horn, you consider pushing together a lot of thin discs, and the errors mount up. I resorted to 3D printing provided by professionals. First 3D print a mandrel shape negative. Apply chemistry, and coat it conductive. Start a plating process, and build it up in copper. Apply chemistry again, and dissolve out the mandrel. Finishing with 10u silver, and less than 0.25u (a few thousand atoms thickness) of gold. Then we also have the stuff that is made with direct fused laser 3D printing, like tuned cavities. Rocket engine nozzles, turbine parts. They are also crushing expensive, but not even possible by machining.

You are absolutely right about the 3D printers most of us now see on eBay, Amazon, etc. and most of the self-builds using import ball-slides and stepper motors. Also, you may be right about how far folk like us can apply them. One definitely has to add some CAD design and G-Code to the skill set. Stefan Gotteswinter needed a electrical connection enclosure to bolt to his tool sharpener motor, and it's nice, but I might have adaped some cheap metal box. Some guys print up component boxes when we all know the smart thing to do is to buy some. Quinn Dunki made a part to mount on lathe ways that had it's shortcomings. One is hostage to the feeble material properties of melt plastic.

The technology is still evolving. 3D printing definitely will play in our future. It can even make working replacement body parts like heart valves, and weaponry unheard of. I won't say never, but I think I agree about the limited direct application to our fun with metal in the workshop. I choose to learn some open source CAD, and maybe progress to 3D CNC, using much the same kit as 3D printing, except built better, with a milling router spindle instead of a computer-controlled glue-gun!

[Edit - I just remembered that @DavidR8 was getting well along the way in building his CNC router. I wonder what he thinks of 3D printers, because he may have given in to the temptation. ]
Actually I bought a 3D printer to help build the CNC router. The router motor mounts, and bearing blocks that support the ball screws are all 3D printed parts.
Most recently I printed a dust shoe for it.
With the proper print settings that pieces can be plenty stout. There are folks with my style CNC router milling stainless steel with 3D printed parts.

Back