There is a big problem with 3D printers

I've been sitting on the sidelines on 3d printing. Think it is a great thing for little gizmos and things that don't require high strength. What has kept me from getting one was not knowing 3d CAD.

This year, I removed that barrier. Took me 3 weeks, 6 days a week, 6 hours a day to learn FreeCAD. It was well worth the time I spent. I have used it to easily design things that I could make in the shop. One of the videos I watched showed a design, that was 3d printed from the model I had just completed. The lesson went through the steps of conversion to STL. That was eye opening.

For those that don't know, FreeCAD runs on Windows, Mac, & Linux. It is an open source 3D CAD program, actively developed and free. No fees, no subscriptions. It supports parametric design. Most of my designs have associated spreadsheets with them, which are directly associated with the model. This means a change made in the spreadsheet automatically changes the drawing. It is a very handy feature. FreeCAD is perfect for my use.

I'll be looking around for a 3d printer this year. If I knew what I was going to use it for, it would be easier to choose one. I'd like one that doesn't require too many upgrades, or fiddling just to get a decent print. Otherwise the printer becomes another rabbit hole to fall in. I want to make a few things, not to make upgrades for the short comings of the printer itself. I already fell into the machining rabbit hole, so don't want to fall into another hole (just yet).

I see 3d printing as complementary to machining.
Me too with the FreeCAD. It's the only way you know for sure your stash of designs will always be accessible in the future. Also, you know the software is not looking over your shoulder and phoning home, to put your profile, interests, and abilities mined metadata up for sale.

Also - it's snugs right up to LinuxCNC :)

Last edited:
That's exactly what I want to avoid, having to immediately upgrade just to get a half decent print. I have been to the Prusa site (many times) and stared at the prices. Yeah, buy once, cry once. Intellectually, I know this. There is a big difference in price, and it is hard to know, as a beginner, if it is worth it.

The conflict between being a cheapass and getting it to work right away is great! Maybe, if they have a sale...
Two of our engineers have 3D printers, one the Prusa Mk3 and the other an Ender. The Ender has cost more than the Prusa to date and the slicer program has been abandoned, he uses the Prusa slicer now. I too am looking and will likely get Prusa. Better machine and better support.
Pierre

When there is just no way to turn the corrugations in a Ka-Band microwave feed horn, you consider pushing together a lot of thin discs, and the errors mount up. I resorted to 3D printing provided by professionals. First 3D print a mandrel shape negative. Apply chemistry, and coat it conductive. Start a plating process, and build it up in copper. Apply chemistry again, and dissolve out the mandrel. Finishing with 10u silver, and less than 0.25u (a few thousand atoms thickness) of gold. Then we also have the stuff that is made with direct fused laser 3D printing, like tuned cavities. Rocket engine nozzles, turbine parts. They are also crushing expensive, but not even possible by machining.

You are absolutely right about the 3D printers most of us now see on eBay, Amazon, etc. and most of the self-builds using import ball-slides and stepper motors. Also, you may be right about how far folk like us can apply them. One definitely has to add some CAD design and G-Code to the skill set. Stefan Gotteswinter needed a electrical connection enclosure to bolt to his tool sharpener motor, and it's nice, but I might have adaped some cheap metal box. Some guys print up component boxes when we all know the smart thing to do is to buy some. Quinn Dunki made a part to mount on lathe ways that had it's shortcomings. One is hostage to the feeble material properties of melt plastic.

The technology is still evolving. 3D printing definitely will play in our future. It can even make working replacement body parts like heart valves, and weaponry unheard of. I won't say never, but I think I agree about the limited direct application to our fun with metal in the workshop. I choose to learn some open source CAD, and maybe progress to 3D CNC, using much the same kit as 3D printing, except built better, with a milling router spindle instead of a computer-controlled glue-gun!

[Edit - I just remembered that @DavidR8 was getting well along the way in building his CNC router. I wonder what he thinks of 3D printers, because he may have given in to the temptation. ]
How is your police radar jammer working?

I’m too cheap and practical I guess because I got into machining because I needed to build machines and parts. Being CAD averse knew I’d have to do it myself. So I let the project dictate the tools needed. None of my projects have needed to be made out of plastic. The only plastics I use are UHMW or Delrin and that’s for their wear resistance. The printed part I tried was not useful. It was a supposed QCTP tool holder off eBay. Didn’t even fit the tool holder so the whole thing has yet to present a use for me. But I do love seeing the uses you guys find for them and a consensus as what are good printers.

A former colleague of mine has a startup company that manufactures complex ceramic parts using 3D printing. The printer has multiple print nozzles and about a third of them are dedicated to printing a water soluble support substrate which permits printing previously unprintable parts. When the printing is complete, the substrate can be washed out and the remaining ceramic form is fire to form a part with mechanical properties similar to those of ceramics made by other means. It is possible to make functional ball bearings complete with the races and the bearings in place. A fantastic machine but it comes with a six figure price tag.

Another friend has a thriving company devoted entirely to additive manufacturing. Some of the materials he prints are stainless steel and Nylon. The printed parts have mechanical properties similar to those manufactured by conventional methods.

How is your police radar jammer working?
Hee hee. :)
The one with the 3D printed stage in the feed manufacture just happens to be the last one I did before I left the rat-race. I had delayed retirement way too long, which I now regret. It would not just jam a police radar. It would render them permanently dysfunctional! I safety interlocked the transmitters with the servo drives which normally keep it pointing above the local terrestrial profile. If below that, they can't turn on.
This one is de-mountable, take-it-apart-able, and move-it-about-able on it's transport vehicle.

6.3m Dual-Shaped Cassegrain 2019.jpg

BUT .. getting back to the 3D printing, you have to accept it's getting more accepted. It seems 3D printed houses and other buildings are now a normal thing.

For me, I have to be impressed by the 3D printed rocket, meaning it's engine, the main rocket body, and much of it's bits.
I think it's not so much a 3D printer as a CNC controlled aluminium TIG welder!

I am now done with tracking rockets and their space-junk spawn. It's to be the whirrr of machines, the smell of hot chips being made (both kinds), views of the countryside from my shop with the big two South facing windows, smooth jazz, and maybe some sounds of a 3D printer, CNC machine, or both.

Last edited:
I think looking at 3D printing as a direct competitor to machining is flawed. It is like comparing woodworking and metal working. Sure there is some overlap but there are projects where wood is the preferred material, some where metal is and some where either will work, simply a matter of design.

Hee hee. :)
The one with the 3D printed stage in the feed manufacture just happens to be the last one I did before I left the rat-race. I had delayed retirement way too long, which I now regret. It would not just jam a police radar. It would render them permanently dysfunctional! I safety interlocked the transmitters with the servo drives which normally keep it pointing above the local terrestrial profile. If below that, they can't turn on.
This one is de-mountable, take-it-apart-able, and move-it-about-able on it's transport vehicle.

View attachment 399447

BUT .. getting back to the 3D printing, you have to accept it's getting more accepted. It seems 3D printed houses and other buildings are now a normal thing.

For me, I have to be impressed by the 3D printed rocket, meaning it's engine, the main rocket body, and much of it's bits.

I am now done with tracking rockets and their space-junk spawn. It's to be the whirrr of machines, the smell of hot chips being made (both kinds), views of the countryside from my shop with the big two South facing windows, smooth jazz, and maybe some sounds of a 3D printer, CNC machine, or both.
COOL! I think I might need air bags to carry that in the back of my truck... but I am up for giving it a try! ;)

Last edited:
COOL! I think I might need air bags to carry that in the back of my truck... but I am up for giving it a try!
It would take more than your average flatbed Ford, Chevy, or Hi-Lux. The size is in the filename, 6.3m. That's not quite 21 ft, but getting there.

It would take more than your average flatbed Ford, Chevy, or Hi-Lux. The size is in the filename, 6.3m. That's not quite 21 ft, but getting there.
I was going off the height of the handrails and estimated about a 16' dish as a guess. I imagine I wouldn't get any more tickets... I doubt I would be able to do 55mph with a sail that big in my bed. Very cool, none the less!

I am now done with tracking rockets and their space-junk spawn.
Wasn't there a dead Russian satellite that collided with an expensive communication satellite a decade or so ago? Is that the type of "junk" you tracked? Sorry for getting off topic.

I work on computers 8-10 hours a day... I try to keep my shop pretty low tech. As much as I would like to play with some kind of CAM I fear it wouldn't seem like I would be getting away from work when retreating to my shop. ---maybe after I retire some day.

Last edited:
Back