There's a Reason Why It's Called a Morse Taper....

I restored this cheap chuck from my drill press that I have absolutely no intention of even using

That cleaned up nice.

If I pay shipping both ways can I send you another 6 or 7 chucks that need that service? ;)

-brino

I stoned down the burrs on both sides this morning, seats fine again. I'll just replace it now that I've got 2 good ones anyway. I'll throw this recovered one back in the drawer & hopefully one day when I'll need it I'll remember it (doubtful :D). At least this ordeal gave me a good laugh, I really needed that.
It goes to show that things happen for a reason.
If it were me I'd use the arbor you brought back from the dead and keep the new ones for special occasions.
I like my spares to be better than what I use on a daily basis but this affliction has not been given an acronym yet.

If it were me I'd use the arbor you brought back from the dead and keep the new ones for special occasions.
I like my spares to be better than what I use on a daily basis but this affliction has not been given an acronym yet.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Use the worn, regular service parts until they will no longer serve, THEN put the new one on and order another. Yes, it does need a name.

In a possibly related vein, my mother would go to the bakery store and buy both fresh and day-old bread. The day-old bread was for immediate consumption, the fresh went in the freezer. No wonder I'm so screwed up.

You know, I used actually think this very same way. But now as I get older, I realize that some of my back ups or spares (not just tool related) may never get used in the years I have left. Although I'm not really old yet I can still see that some of it may never get the chance to be used by me. So now I think the opposite, I'll use the best of what I have first when needed.

Problem I have & I know I'm not alone (hopefully) is I buy back ups for backups for certain things I know or feel won't be available or easy to get later on if/when I need another. It's a disease or I'm just mentally ill. :big grin:

But I get it & can relate, for example, I have 2 sets of gauge blocks. One is generic Chinese import, the other is Mitutoyo. I'll use the generic primarily & only the Mitu for fussy stuff (which is rare for me). But really not sure why I even have this reasoning as I don't have a need to use gauge blocks often anyway. :D

You know, I used actually think this very same way. But now as I get older, I realize that some of my back ups or spares (not just tool related) may never get used in the years I have left. Although I'm not really old yet I can still see that some of it may never get the chance to be used by me. So now I think the opposite, I'll use the best of what I have first when needed.

Problem I have & I know I'm not alone (hopefully) is I buy back ups for backups for certain things I know or feel won't be available or easy to get later on if/when I need another. It's a disease or I'm just mentally ill. :big grin:

But I get it & can relate, for example, I have 2 sets of gauge blocks. One is generic Chinese import, the other is Mitutoyo. I'll use the generic primarily & only the Mitu for fussy stuff (which is rare for me). But really not sure why I even have this reasoning as I don't have a need to use gauge blocks often anyway. :D
I totally relate but talk about first world problems of over abundance :) I’ve got very squishy rules that are haphazardly applied. I’m very aware of the limited time and already sad for my SO having to get rid of this stuff so I’m no longer buying backups, only as needed. And don’t seem to be able to get organized enough that I can find the backups reliably anyway. So I let the “market” dictate. If I run into a good deal on Jo blocks, hey, it’s meant to be. If it also includes mt2 arbor, also meant to be. So far it’s kept me out of confusion as they don’t seem to come up on CL.

I totally relate but talk about first world problems of over abundance

Lightning McQueen: I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand.

Tool addicts such as myself: We create reasoning that only ourselves would understand.

;)

Oh too true. I don’t know how many times I’ve read about something here and think what a cool thing only to have it come up on CL. Truly have to be careful what you wish for as it will pop up in your own locality.

Off topic but #1 & 2 Morse are identical to Jarno tapers, Morse made a miscalculation designing these sizes.

jarno appears to be .600" taper per foot across the board
MT tapers vary in this dimension between .598" and .6315"

jarno appears to be .600" taper per foot across the board
MT tapers vary in this dimension between .598" and .6315"
It is my understanding that Morse was shooting for 5/8"/ft. for all of the tapers, but was limited by the tools and technology available.

Back