They do not make things like they did before

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We had a craftsman RAS with DRO that we picked up on clearance many moons ago and it was fun as the DRO was dead on for wood.

Not knowing any better as we were table saw preference it seemed okay.

Over the years the DRO would fail and we would fix it and the carriage seemed a bit loose.

A few months ago we found an older one at an estate sale that per the table had very low is and was made with lots more cast iron and lots more weight and for 20 bucks had to come home.

Good fit and no slop so swap out full saw from base and good to go .

Ordered the recall box and tore it apart and what a cheap build thus reason for this thread.

We can post of comparison of newer to older of same items.

The RAS above both had similar motor units but the older one has a cast iron arm and the carriage has 2 ball bearing wheels on each side that dude on a round rod resting Un a groove in the arm...The older than that one seen at a thrift store had much more cast iron but same arm and just the grooves.

The newer one that was sent away for recall has a rolled steel tube shape with a dodge along the center that 2 wheels ride in then a bearing wheel at each side to support the weight.

A very poor design that once we used the older one the newer one felt like garbage.

They changed over the years and the thrift store one did not have the round rids on the arm as does ours so we thinks the bearings may have been expensive or some other reason to make that change but no obvious difference.

Thrift store one was well used and in the rain priced at 90 bucks so we let it stay.

That is our contribution.

What else is going downhill fast besides craftsman tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Stanley bought the Craftsman brand for the lawn and garden line. They own the Proto brand of hand tools, witch I have read the quality has gone down since. So I don't have much hope.
Black n decker bought Dewalt. So don't have much hope for the Craftsman power tools either and I have most of the C3 line.

My children get old tools for birthdays and Christmas. Next Christmas they are all getting old USA vices. I don't worry about patina- I take them apart, clean 'em up, replace fasteners as needed, some HP grease on the lead screw and wrap 'em up.
I have 7 children, so this turns into a year long project along with birthdays and such.

Combination wrenches... The old ones just feel better.

Time was, you could walk into a Sears tool area with a broken Craftsman tool and they'd give you a new one off the shelf. Now, well the last time I tired, you needed a receipt and if the tool is over 1 year old, forget it. Not only have the tools gone down hill so has their guarantee.

That's because, if an old Craftsman tool broke, it was rare enough to be replaced. Nowadays, they expect it.

Last ratchet we Tok in they opened a drawer full of rebuilt American ones and offered choice of them or a new one with a wink...

Took an old rebuilt one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Time was, you could walk into a Sears tool area with a broken Craftsman tool and they'd give you a new one off the shelf. Now, well the last time I tired, you needed a receipt and if the tool is over 1 year old, forget it. Not only have the tools gone down hill so has their guarantee.
I recently replaced a set of needle nose. No arguments. When I was in my 20's I broke a breaker bar ear off. I got a hard time , the guy didn't want to replace it, he wanted me to buy a larger size unit. I have since had no problems. I avoid Crapsman these days, but if one breaks it gets replaced. They are not quality any more. I have never been impressed with their wood working tools. Their miter slots on all saws are not standard, they are sears size.

Back