They do not make things like they did before

Just think about it....

Back in the day it was sears and now amazon...

If sears would have kept the original buisiness and worked towards Internet support they could have easily pulled it off.

They stepped away and amazon was born...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last time I was at Sears was in the early 80's I was going to buy a belt / disc sander, when I went to pay they said that they would not take my Master card only a Sears card, I said fine I will get my sander else were. Was never back in that store.

We often would be dragged to the mall and would mosey through the sears tool area and back in the day the power tools were fun to touch and the assorted power tools and other things often were interesting.

But the last 10 or more years it has got very dull and we have more fun at harbor freight as they often have some clever things that may or may not be well made but fun to look at.

Picked up a long reach vice grip type pliers that can clamp on something through a hole and a ratcheting tap wrench that both seem to work well.

Craftsman RAS are why RAS got a rep being inaccurate . B&D ran DeWalt down hill in the late "60s. Every single Craftsman electrical tool, except for a shop-vac, I've bought I have regretted buying, and those were from the '70s.

I posted this a couple of years ago but it fits here as well:
There have been a few tool buying dissapointments over the years but the first is always the worst.
I was 18 and very much into woodworking at the time (1980). I saved up to buy Sears Craftsman Router, their top of the line, "2 ½" Hp. with dust collection, built in light and "micrometer" depth gauge. Wow, I thought I was in the big leagues with a real pro tool that would be with me for many years to come... Well the ugly truth reared its head during my first project. I quickly discovered, the "micrometer" depth gauge was almost useless being poorly designed rack and pinion arrangement, executed in cheap plastic. Then I found the base wouldn't square to the tool without several rounds of tweaking. But worst, the base wasn't concentric with the spindle... Crestfallen as I was I managed to work around the routers issues and complete a few projects. Then about a year and a half later, I was using it to cut a dado in some pine for a bookcase When it started making a hellacious sound and sparks started flying out of it. Upon opening it up I found the top bearing had come loose, being held in place by a small stamped metal bracket "secured" by two screws threaded directly into plastic. I managed to temporarily fix it and complete the bookcase but I never used it after that.

I did buy a couple of Craftsman open end wrenches yesterday, at $2 each, in those handy sizes like 11/16 x 19/32 . They are sturdy wrenches, made in the same factory as KD, but coarse finished, raised panel . After using them for a day, you know the a reason wrenches are now made like Macs.

I will be a contrary voice in the wilderness. i think the reason manufactures made things that lasted was because the materials and technology was not available to make things cheaper. It would have been in a manufactures best interest to make things that wear out quickly, so they could sell another one.

I agree that its sad but most likely the natural progression of things.

I have a few new tools that I am real proud of their quality.
1) Sawstop Cabinet saw
2) Minimax 24" bandsaw
3) Festool router and domino
4) Esteem 2x72 grinder
5) Lie Neisen and Veritas planes.
All of these are fine tools that will last a long time. Expensive? Yes. But you get what you pay for most of the time.
Just goes to show that quality can be had, at a price.

Planned obsolescence happens where engineering meets capitalism. Products aren’t designed to last; they’re designed for the dump. In this situation, engineers don’t aim to create the best possible machine. They aim for maximum profit through steady sales

Planned obsolescence happens where engineering meets capitalism. Products aren’t designed to last; they’re designed for the dump. In this situation, engineers don’t aim to create the best possible machine. They aim for maximum profit through steady sales
Back in the day we were a practical bunch and thanks to the depression folks were not wanting to waste but rather buy servicable items.

In Maybury Floyd made a comfortable living fixing things.

Now folks want "trendy" things that look good or in style.

Something flashy comes out and resistance to buy as old one works fine...what to do...?

Design such that item lasts until next style comes along and performance drops such that a new one is needed since it costs more to repair than replace and old does not look as good...

Cheaper to build and easier to sell more as the cheaper one easier to throw in the trash.

Fine for toasters but not for stationary tools or power tools that are expected to last.

Back