Thin walled aluminum drum

No issues sticking to the aluminum and spinning at some ungodly speed for the remainder of time?

no, not if you clean the aluminum properly. I would disconnect the pressure rollers if you have them, and mount some sandpaper on a board. let the bed feed the board it... I'm thinking mdf or something made flat, that spray mounted paper could be mounted on.
That could do the nice finish pass. It doesn't look like you have pressure rollers but I can't tell.

No issues sticking to the aluminum and spinning at some ungodly speed for the remainder of time?

And shawn, it's not spinning at an ungodly speed, probably 3200 rpm.. maybe a bit more. But even if it doesn't work, which I think it will, you haven't ruined the drum and can try something else. The important part to remember is that All glues, epoxies, bondo , resins, don't cure the first day. They take a bit of time. Sometimes a week, depending on temp. So make sure it gets good and hard for the final sanding so it will be round.

Hmm. That would be significantly easier than pulling the shaft out...
The pressure rollers are only two bolts on each side with a spring.
IMG_20180317_162940.jpg

And shawn, it's not spinning at an ungodly speed, probably 3200 rpm.. maybe a bit more. But even if it doesn't work, which I think it will, you haven't ruined the drum and can try something else. The important part to remember is that All glues, epoxies, bondo , resins, don't cure the first day. They take a bit of time. Sometimes a week, depending on temp. So make sure it gets good and hard for the final sanding so it will be round.
Yeah, I knew it was up there somewhere. Just couldn't be bothered to bend over and check the speed of the motor.
I feel this will be test #1.

I could do it with the pressure rollers in place. That would ensure the sandpaper board remained flat.

Uhhg. Now you're going to make me tram the feed table.
This delta is the 18" model with the rubber belt for the table height adjustable screws, the one that likes to skip teeth from time to time and unlevel the table. I've planned on changing it to a chain, just never got there.

Shawn, your pressure rollers are static rollers with out a drive mechanism? They don't look like they help the belt feed the board.
If they don't you might not need to even remove them. I was thinking that they would be timed with the belt, and if they were, they would be rotating and get sanded, but if they are just mounted steel bars, that press down and don't rotate from gearing our might not have to even remove them. That's your call. I can't tell what is going on there.

They are free spinning spring loaded steel rollers. Not geared, but do spin freely as a board passes. Not quite the upper model with driven feed rollers

I am with the bondo idea, just rough sand the area first so the bondo sticks good and by the looks of the dent I would do two coats, you don't want to apply bondo very thick.

Back