Thinking about a Multi Purpose Welder ?

yendor

Active User
Registered
I have expirence with old Buzz Box Lincoln Tombstone Stick Type welders, and a "Little" with Mig (via Friends Light duty machines) .

When I moved I sold the old Buzz Box thinking I wasn't going to have much need for it.
Well all good thoughts don't always work out.

It seems I have more than enough reasons to re-acquire a welder.
I'm thinking a Multi-Purpose box.
I know I can buy several cheap single purpose ones for probaly about the same cost but Space also comes into play.
I don't want to play the Craigs List Used game - I've watched what is out there for awhile and well... I don't want someone old problem.

Does anyone have any expirence with this Multi-purpose unit from HF?

It seems to be failry well featured.
I have 240 Volts in the garage.
What Else ?

No experience, but at least they have a great warranty/return policy. My choice would be a Miller but at about 5x the cost, makes the HF unit very attractive.

The Miller multifunction welders these days are really nice. Great capacity for their size.

I absolutely love my Miller AC/DC 220. (Does 110 also).IMG_3297 (3).JPG
It's a stick, mig, Tig ac/dc fighting machine in Miller Blue.
Not cheap, but it's all I'll ever need in one sweet package.
Old pic, I added a Lotus Plasma cutter to the cart.

Whoa, whoa.
I cannot comment on the Harbor Freight(green) box asked about above, but there's too much "Blue" being suggested above......

I have a Lincoln (red) MIGpak 180 and it's fantastic! But, only does MIG......

But my last two additions have been Everlast (green) boxes.
They are a Power TIG 250EX and PowerPlasma 80S.
The TIG machine is so much better than my current skills, it has been great!
(I don't call it TIG practice, I call it tungsten sharpening practice)

I am having (yet another) space crunch in the shop and just may have to give up my Century (also red) 230A stick welder to make room for the plasma.
I will need to compare the PowerTIG DC stick vs. the old Century AC stick to finally decide.

-brino

Last edited:
I absolutely love my Miller AC/DC 220. (Does 110 also).View attachment 302071
It's a stick, mig, Tig ac/dc fighting machine in Miller Blue.
Not cheap, but it's all I'll ever need in one sweet package.
Old pic, I added a Lotus Plasma cutter to the cart.

I have the same machine, I'm not experienced enough to say it is great (it is far more capable than I am), but I'm very happy with mine so far. I also consider this a one time welder purchase unles I buy a tank.

I know Everlast and has some similar multi-process machines that are much cheaper than Miller. ESAB has a similar machine at about the same price as Miller.

If you aren't concerned with having AC TIG capabilities both Miller (215) and Lincoln (210MP) have stick, MIG, and DC TIG machines for about $700 less than the 220,

I'm not normally a combination device person, but having a small shop I really like having 3 welding machines in the footprint of one.

I have had two Rossi 3 in 1 welders from ebay.
The first went down after two weeks.
When unboxed I noticed that the mig tip had been used but I put that down to manufacturers testing.
The warranty replacement unboxed with no use marks on anything and all 3 systems worked well.
When I rechecked the advertisement on ebay the price had almost tripled so I think they take the first returned item, repair it then advertise at a very low price to get rid of it. The second one may have been totally new.
I used mig and tig a fair bit building recumbent bikes and a set of outside stairs with landing.
Then no welding for about 6 months.
When I went to use it again it wouldnt work on tig or mig, stick still worked, for a while then the unit turned on but stopped as soon as an arc was struck.
Unfortunately it was now out of warranty so no replacement.
A local welding repair shop said they look upon these 3 in 1's as disposable machines.
They also come with zero instructions. (not a problem if you know what you are doing)

I have been looking at these multiuse machines for a while, but I already have a 300A MIG and 250A very old school TIG. I'd love the space saving, but I just can't see getting rid of my big old blue boxes...

The big brands seem to be a lot more repairable and reliable than the off-brands. The dealers here are really pushing the ESAB welders, but I'm not sure it isn't because of better margins than the red and blue boxes...

Hi Yendor,
if you can get it with a HF 20% off coupon or something, why not try it out???

if you have 240 in the garage you are good to go after some consumables and gas
i'd like to know how well they'd do!
i have not welded with the green box.

i have PowCon's and wouldn't trade them for the world.
i also have miller and lincoln in the same shop space and they seem to get along together ;)

there are a couple HF welders in my collection, the 110v 90 amp FCAW AC rig, and the 220v 130amp GTAW/SMAW rig
they work but were purchased as consumable job expenditures
(i purchased them both and used them one time for emergency work, them set them aside to do only small or light work)

if you end up getting it, i'd like to hear how she performs!
all the best

Back