Thinking about G0759 - advice?

bluegrass-engineer

Registered
Registered
I am getting ready to buy my first and, hopefully, last mill. After months of comparing I think I want the Grizzly G0759. The machine seems to be identical to the G0758, except it has DRO on the X and Y axes. Now this is a new product for Grizzly, and they won't even have it in stock for a couple of months. I would really appreciate any comments from you folks. The G0758 is a very popular hobby mill. That was my first choice until I saw the G0759.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you have also read a lot of material out there as well. Some good, some not so good. In the end, it's (to me) all about what you will be doing with the Mill? Search the H&M site w/ the 'search feature' for either unit and you'll see some info. Most of it good. They seem to take care of their customers. The Q/A from Grizzly seems to be good overall. I can tell as your comment about the first & last mill purchase made me Smile! I thought that too upon a novice time. LOL. Really, I hope this is your first and only. I now know a ton more than I did - And it boiled down to me not asking myself what I planned to do w/ them Mill? Can you give us some details on your expectations and what you would like to work with material wise?

Thanks for the post!
CG.

The 758 is a smaller mill compared to the 759. The 759 is basically a 704 with the DRO. I have a machine of the same size and it works very well as long as you stay within it's intended work envelope. Some have bought the 704 and put 5/8" end mills in it and promptly sheared the plastic intermediate gear. A 5/8" end mill is too much for this sized mill unless very small cuts are taken.

As previously said, it would help to understand what you want to use the mill for? You said hobby use, but that could mean pretty much anything to this group (we have guys with 3000 lb. 'hobby' machines here). :)

You need to think about what you want to use the mill for, and what future projects you might want to tackle. Many of us (me included) started small then found we needed bigger machines to support larger hobby projects.

This seems to be a good hobby machine. It won't take cuts the size a1500 or 3000lbs. machine will but it don't take the floor space or cost as much either. as is metioned a few time already it comes down to what you plan on doing. As long as most of your parts are within travel and head to table -tool size then you should be ok. Good luck and have fun. be sure to post pics of whatever you get and how it works for you. Also remember the guys here love to help and find the only supid question to be the one never asked, so be sure to ask if you don't know, I for one would hateto see you wreck your new machine or worst yourself. Mark

30 yrs of this hobby. Buying only what think I can get by with.
Lessons learned,Buy/ get twice the size one thinks they need,grow in to not out of as skills increase,
There is no subsitute for mass when it comes to tool stability and repeatability.
With stability in machine/tooling,less frustration and easier learning curve(cost savings too).
Decide on a goal,such as do I want be able to machine/make things or just occupy time in shop.
There are many aspects of this hobby/disease suitable for all.
Welcome, join the fun and share.

First and last??????????????????Hummm!!!!!!!!! A poll for the members?

I recently got my 0759. It took a month and a half to get it off back order. They are selling them faster than they can be put together, probably due to the addition of the DRO. The 0704 is the same base machine, but without the DRO factory installed. The DRO is a feature that you are going to fall in love with if you use the machine much. The 0704 with an aftermarket DRO installed by you will be at least $400 more, even if you get the lowest cost equivalent unit. The 0759 does indeed come completely assembled and ready to go after normal clean up. Mine is smooth, tight, and was surprisingly close to being trammed.

I have not been able to do a lot with mine yet. I have cut some steel with it and it was so much nicer than the smaller Seig X2 that I had before. I had access to big knee mills when I worked. This is certainly not that nice, but it is way better than the little mini-mills. It is surprisingly quiet for a gear driven mill. I can use it in the garage after midnight without waking up the neighborhood.

What you want to do is your most important question now, and get more capability than the minimum you need. You will probably want to do more ambitious things in short order.

Last edited:
The 759 is a pretty decent machine review wise and owner happiness wise, They all have an issue from time to time with minor flaws and assembly errors, but nothing that a little effort and patience wont solve. My initial recommendation on any new machine is to tear it down as far as you feel comfortable and re-assemble after a thorough cleaning to remove the packing grease the come slathered in. You should also pay very close attention to setting all the gibs and adjustments as closely as possible during tis time. Then follow the recommended break in procedure for running in the bearings, belts and gears. Look for excess heat and strange noises while you are doing this. Once you have completed the break in, chuck up a chunk of metal and make something. Doesn't really matter what you make, just something you can keep on you desk to remind you of where you started to learn about that machine and machining in general. Above all have some fun and don't hesitate to ask any question you may have, before you get hurt or trash your new machine.

Bob

I own two Grizzly machines and what Becket said above is right on point. I had to partially dismantle both machines and thoroughly adjust, clean and lubricate them. Don't get me wrong...I have gotten very good service from both of my Grizzly machines (G9729 and Go752) and like them very much. I just recently sold the 3n1 machine on Craig's List about 24 hours after I listed it. I now have a GO463 Mill on order. I narrowed my two choices down to the machine (GO 759) you have picked and the GO463. I chose the latter.

First, many thanks to all you kind people for your responses.

I did go ahead and order the 759. A message back from Grizzly gave me hope that I might have it by the middle of February. Patience is a virtue.

Yes, I intend to take it apart and give it a complete cleaning before it ever sees electricity. I now know where to come if I have any problems. You folks are great!

Good luck with the new machine. Add pics when it arrives. You never did mention what you will be making with the new mill.

Back