Thinking Inside the Box

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
One of my favorite hobby machinist activities is grinding my own HSS cutting tools. It's truly satisfying to grind a tool for a special cut when there is nothing on the commercial market to get the job done. Until today I've been storing my cutting tools in a pile at the bottom of a small lidded box. But I didn't like doing that because sharp tools loose their edges when they contact hard surfaces; like the edges of other tools. Today I discovered that a simple ammo box, available at virtually every sporting goods store, was the ideal storage container for my cutting tools. And it will free up a little room on my reloading bench. Here's how it works for me.

Attachments

• PICT6426.JPG
    PICT6426.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Fact is, most specially ground tools will never get used again.
True enough, Ben. But when I want a special result in the finished product and there is nothing on the open market that will do the job I'm kinda forced to fend for myself. One tool, in particular, cuts a groove inside a narrow opening. No boring tool is small enough to make the cut. There isn't anything, short of a watch maker's setup and I'm not sure there's anything commercially available for that skill, that can make that cut except for something ground especially for it. Also, after making a special cutting tool and having no further need for it, I just consider it a blank for another tool down the road.

Back