Thinking of buying a Bridgeport Mill

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't know anything about Bridgeport Mills. Is there a Model number or size that I should be inquiring about? Here is the ad of what he is selling. I can't test it out so it is one of those buyer be ware type of thing I guess. Looking for advice, good deal, fair deal or over priced?

What would be a fair price for the mill and attachments?

Is this not local to you? Looks to me you and the seller are both in Chelan.

If so, I’d just head on over and at least take a look and talk with the seller. At least from my experience I think you can get a good feel for the situation in person. There’s those folks that you just know you can trust and then there’s those who you just know you best run from.

If it’s close to you I would head on over there ASAP (while you wait for more informed feedback from the knowledgeable ones here) and see what the situation is.

You just never know. You might make a new friend that really takes a liking to you and offers you a sweet deal???

As Rosanne used to say “it could happen”.

That's the plan, I just trying to get some sort of an idea of what it might be worth.

I sent him an email tonight so well see what he has to say.

I would say the mill is worth a possible $1500 - $1700 tops ! It's a J head and it's not in pristine condition as the pics show . The right angle head possibly $300 - $350 . I see no drill chucks and what other attachments might he have ? Angle plates aren't Bridgeport attachments . $6800 would buy you the Haas in the background and maybe a little more .

" Currently the tools are in storage where 3 phase is unavailable, so no testing is available. " Buyer beware . :big grin:

I would agree with with mmcmdl's assessment. Bridgeport's are good machines, but this one is way over priced. It's also a very early model given the power feed on the table. If you're able to take a look at it check the serial number. It should be stamped on the top of the knee where the table is sitting in the first picture. You'll have to crank the table back a couple inches to see it.

Here's a link to a serial number chart on webmetalnews.com

As for the right angle drive there are several currently listed on eBay with asking prices in the $300.00 to $600.00 range depending on age and condition. Given the serial number on the head it was probably built in the mid 1960's. That doesn't necessarily mean the machine is that new because it's quite common for commercial shops to just exchange the head for a rebuilt rather than take the machine out of production for the time needed to rebuild it in house. Also looking at the condition (surface rust) on the table the machine hasn't been used in quite some time.

I also think this is over priced.
Just because the y axis ways show some flaking doesn't mean it is in pristine condition.
A large part of pricing an object includes two factors demand and availability in your area, and condition.
In my area I would pay up to 1200.00 for a Used Bridgeport series one with the stepped pulley head.
Your area may be more, I don't know.
Depending on what is available to you shipping could raise a price considerably so paying a little more to purchase but be able to put it on your trailer and drive it home has REAL value and should be considered in the machines value.

If I sold this mill I would list at $1500 , and gladly take $1000 without all the extra attachments :dunno: If you're considering a BP and willing to spend that kind of $$$$$$ , man you can pm me anytime ! :grin:

The price is excessive, I have seen much better mills in the 4K range and under. You can buy a new step pulley mill for 6.8K and just add a VFD. I have the Acra LMV-42 that I purchased directly from Acura, you can save a bit going direct. Eisen and a few other distributors sell Taiwanese knee mills in the same price range. Tooling, you are probably better off getting newish stuff as opposed to beat up hodge podge.

Last edited:
Back