Thinking of buying a Clausing at auction

I really love my 5903 Clausing. That’s a single phase variable speed hydraulic lathe. If the one you’re looking at is variable speed, make sure you check the sliding hydraulic sheaves at the motor.
There’s tons of info on that system online. If you have a variable speed, it will have a rotating dial on the top of the headstock. Top left at the back of the headstock. Okay

Should I assume this will weigh about 2000-2500 pounds?
The only way I have to move it, once it's at my house, is with an engine hoist.
I think my hoist is rated that high. I'd double check before trying.

Otherwise I will have to get creative.

I moved my Clausing using my 1993 Nissan Frontier/ Hardbody truck. It’s @ 1/2 ton capacity truck.
maybe even a bit less.
But as my memory serves me, I’m pretty sure my lathe’s data specs say @ 1200 pounds. It’s actually not that heavy… Definitely lighter than my Millrite milling machine (1600# ) and Parker Majestic surface grinder (probably 1600-2000#’s )

FWIW, the recommended way to lift the lathe is by using a flat steel bar under the bed. The bar is placed between the carriage and headstock. Then the nylon sling strap is hooked to the bar . And once lifted a few inches, you move the carriage in or out to get the balance right.

I used a chain around the flat bar and strapped the flat bar tightly to the lathe bed so it’s wouldn’t accidentally slide out of place. The carriage does make it easy to get the balance perfect.

Attachments

• F052403F-F2B4-420E-AAE7-60D1D4CE3BC8.jpeg
    F052403F-F2B4-420E-AAE7-60D1D4CE3BC8.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I decided to not even bid on the lathe.
I went to the auction, in booney-town, from a not so recognizable named auctioneer, with a crappy website, assuming the clientele group would be small.
Nope!
There were over a hundred cars and trucks there and parking had been extended to a muddy field where I could see a few trucks were already stuck.
I was only interested in the lath so I would have had to sit through the auction waiting for it to come up.
I don't really have room for a moderate deal big item but I would have made room for a steal. This wasn't going to be a steal.
I never even looked at it in person. I like my car a little too much to get it stuck in the mud.

So, thanks for all the input. I'll wait til I find a steal.

Bummer , steals on Clausings if posted on the net are like hens teeth . Everybody and there brother has them and are constantly searching them out , including many of us on here . Did you find out the final price ?

Bummer , steals on Clausings if posted on the net are like hens teeth . Everybody and there brother has them and are constantly searching them out , including many of us on here . Did you find out the final price ?
I didn't find out the final price. I wonder if the auction house would tell me. Most won't.
I'll reach out to them.
If it sold for a couple hundred I will kick myself. If it sold for a couple thousand, it may have been a good deal but more of a good deal than a steal.

Really no way to tell what's going to happen at auction. I'd not search out the sale price. Lol. Better to assume you made the right choice, and spend your time searching for a lathe. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I went to the auction, in booney-town, from a not so recognizable named auctioneer, with a crappy website, assuming the clientele group would be small.
Nope!
There were over a hundred cars and trucks there and parking had been extended to a muddy field where I could see a few trucks were already stuck.
I was only interested in the lath so I would have had to sit through the auction waiting for it to come up.
I don't really have room for a moderate deal big item but I would have made room for a steal. This wasn't going to be a steal.
I never even looked at it in person. I like my car a little too much to get it stuck in the mud.

Except for the boredom it's actually better if an item is near the end-people leave or loose patience. Also if there are several lots of similar or same items the second or third one usually goes for less. i've seen 3 identical bridgeports and by the 3rd one price is half that of the first.

It is a given when there are a lot of bidders you probably won't get a great deal.

Nope!

Follow your gut feelings. No doubt that my following my gut feelings usually is spot on. That gut feeling is hardwired into our genetic DNA.
If you go to buy something and you get a feeling that something just doesn’t smell right…. Then that’s all that matters in my opinion. I’m not going to even waste my time trying to analyze what or why it isn’t right. Just walk away.

an item is near the end-people leave or loose patience. Also if there are several lots of similar or same items the second or third one usually goes for less. i've seen 3 identical bridgeports and by the 3rd one price is half that of the first.
That's really interesting, because I have the exact opposite experience. I wanted to buy a post vise at this auction. They had like 6 of them. The first couple went really cheap. But as the supply of post vises dwindled, the bids got higher and higher. I ended up with no post vise.

Back