Thinking of buying a nice drill bit set.

Haban ? Must be a Super Cub ! :encourage: Shoot me a pm fin , I finally got the 1811 running .

Can't remember where exactly I got these. Either Amazon, or Shars, but they have been great. Did over a hundred 3/8 holes in 1/8" flat strap, and the last one went as easy as the first, and no centerpuch required. I think they were around $80.IMG_20220529_111301866_HDR.jpgIMG_20220529_111409802_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I very much like Drill Hog brand. I have ruined a few through the years, but it was always my fault. Someone in the forum once said they didn't think there was proper evidence they were truly made domestically. But the ads usually say Made in USA, and wherever they're from, they are literally the best drills I've ever had. So the only thing I care about is that I can get them when I want them. Being a fairly new company, I confess to buying extras on occasion, just to in some very small way, keep the company going. Probably silly...but there are very few things in life that have exceeded my performance expectations. Drill Hog is on that very, very short list. I am a customer and fanboy for life at this point.

Off topic: I have a friend and political nemesis who is a professional machinist. He has quite possibly the crappiest number/letter drill sets I have ever had the misfortune of using. But he's been using them for years, and he has literally never complained once about them. He does excellent work. So it's possible that we might over state the value of good drills. He literally couldn't care less about his drills, and they work just fine for him. Actually I can probably go out on a limb here and say he wouldn't agree with my opinion of his drills either. Ha! Evidently there's at least some truth to that old saying about Craftsmen and tools. But I will carry on with Drill Hog for as long as I can buy them. They certainly allow an amateur like myself a greater degree of confidence.

I've got a 29 pc fractional set from Drill Hog, far better than anything else I have which includes Dewalt, Irwin, Vermont American, Harbor Freight.

They are a bit of a mystery though, certainly imply Made in USA, although don't explicitly say so. The drill index is Huot which is made in USA adding to the confusion.
I suspect they set a spec and then source from where ever they get the best deal as I've heard everything from made by Norseman to made in China, nobody really seems to know and Drill Hog seems to have no interest in clarifying.

They are good drill bits though regardless of where they are made. Further shopping I did find they are priced very similar to Norseman.

It's my understanding that split points are great, but need special techniques to sharpen, can someone enlighten me.

Read the Harold Hall chapter on drill sharpening. Pretty helpful. Sharpening split point requires a sharp-cornered grinding wheel and good position control. But even a drill doctor does a passable job, at least for certain sizes.

Pulled the trigger on this set just now, should be here by the weekend.

1654084380611.png

Back