Thinking of buying an Atlas TH42 for about $1k.

jemin

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I am new to machining. I do not have any kind of engineering degree but after looking at a lot of youtube videos, I have decided to buy a lathe. Searching craigslist, I came across an Atlas Th42 for $1k. Additional costs are gas, renting a pick ($119) and driving 2.5 hours. The lathe itself looks to be in great shape. The owner is including a 4 jaw chuck, 13 collects, 3 jaw chuck,gears and a quick change tool post. Can some one please tell me if this is a good buy and weather this is a good lathe for a beginner. Any other advice and information is appreciated.

Thanks.
-J

Not a bad lathe to start with, If everything is working and it is in generally good condition it would be a little high, but still decent buy. The collets and QC toolpost are a nice bonus These lathes don't come up often in this area, I live just outside of Pottstown and found my 12" Craftsman up in Bensalem. See if you can locate a copy of the Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operations and this forum does have a Craftsman/Atlas section.

Do yourself a favor and watch these videos. I am linking only the first one to get you started. They are fine lathes for beginners.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Not a bad lathe to start with, If everything is working and it is in generally good condition it would be a little high, but still decent buy. The collets and QC toolpost are a nice bonus These lathes don't come up often in this area, I live just outside of Pottstown and found my 12" Craftsman up in Bensalem. See if you can locate a copy of the Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operations and this forum does have a Craftsman/Atlas section.
Hey Bill. Thank you. I am actually very close to Bensalem. Forgot to mention, he is also including the Manaual of Lathe operations with the lathe.

Do yourself a favor and watch these videos. I am linking only the first one to get you started. They are fine lathes for beginners.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Thanks twhite. As a matter of fact, I have watched a lot of Mr. Peet's videos but not the one you linked. I love the "cutting oil is my blood".

Well over 40 years using it 6 days a week. It was done over time.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I moved an Atlas TH42 by myself, unless it's on a cabinet and you wanted to keep it together; then you'll need help. They come apart easily and can be moved by one strong person in a van or SUV with fold-down seats.

They're a light-duty gateway drug, but one can always be resold if a better machine comes along.

jack vines

Good price for one around these parts, more so considering the attachments coming with it. They clean up nicely too, should you want to put any work into it:

fr_3846.jpg

That's my TH42 after a full tear down and "resto". Paint is not an OEM color.

Good to start on, fine to keep if you only intend it as a hobby. You can make lots of quality bits on an old Atlas, as long as you stay within it's limits and the wear isn't too bad.

You'll be looking for a bench mill soon after too......;)

Keep in mind whats a "good price" very much depends on your location. That might be a 500-600 dollar lathe elsewhere, could be up to 1500-2000 in others.....

Last edited:
Though I am not familiar with that particular machine the price seems okay for the lathe and extras you describe - depending of course on wear and condition.
However, and no offense to Great White's little beauty but if it is like the one in his photo I would suggest you hold out for a lathe with quick change gear box - even if it costs a bit more.

Though I am not familiar with that particular machine the price seems okay for the lathe and extras you describe - depending of course on wear and condition.
However, and no offense to Great White's little beauty but if it is like the one in his photo I would suggest you hold out for a lathe with quick change gear box - even if it costs a bit more.
OP stated he’s looking at a TH42.

TH42 is a manual gear model. It would be a QC42 if it had a quick change gearbox Well, it might still have a TH42 tag if a QC gearbox was added after initial sale, which was an option at the time.

I used to think I wanted to add a QC gearbox, but I found the manual gears tends to give me more options. I’m sure you could get the same options with a QC box, but I’m guessing you’d be back to swapping gears somewhere in the train to get those options (like metric threading, etc).

Being able to 3d print extra gears is also a big plus for me. Adding a plastic gear in a couple different places takes most of the “ring” noise out of the geartrain. Makes it much more pleasant to be around the lathe when its running. I can also create and print custom gear sizes if needed. again, you probably could do the same thing with a QC gearbox, but you’re likely back to swapping gears at that point, like you would on a manual train anyways.

I’m not doing anything commercial or production, so I don’t mind the extra time to swap out gears.

Not everyone feels that way so shop for the lathe that fits your wants as required….;)

Last edited:
Back