Thinking Of Cnc'ing A Rf45 - Which Steppers?

Search eBay using item #181497970139. This is the kit I bought and it is the same one jbolt and jumps4 used in their original builds. The BoB is not the best. I bought one suggested by jumps4 and it has worked just fine. I think I paid $15 for it. I'll see if I can find the item number.

Tom S.

The eBay item number for the BoB I bought to replace the one that came in the motor kit is 261213650116. It may not be available under this number but this same board is sold by several vendors.

Tom S

After blowing (literally) half a dozen surface mount diodes off one of the DQ860MA drivers during a heavy roughing cut I switched to this driver/power supply for the 34 size steppers on the X & Y. http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/kl-stepper-drivers/kl-11080-stepper-drive

No issues so far.

The DQ2722M that drives/powers the 42 size stepper has never been a problem.

I have also changed to a PMDX-126 BOB with Ethernet Smooth Stepper and PMDX-107 Spindle controller. The basic BOB did not have enough headroom to add spindle control, flood and mist coolant.

Jay

Really appreciate all the help and advice, thanks! Tom your conversion came out great, gave me a serious case of enclosure envy. I will search for the other builds you mentioned and have a read. Thanks for the heads up on drivers jbolt, that'll be something to consider when it comes time to order.

Really appreciate all the help and advice, thanks! Tom your conversion came out great, gave me a serious case of enclosure envy. I will search for the other builds you mentioned and have a read. Thanks for the heads up on drivers jbolt, that'll be something to consider when it comes time to order.

I'm not totally condemning the driver as a lot of people use them with great success but with the large 34 size steppers I think it was at the upper limit of capacity for how I was using the system. Most probably wouldn't push their [hobby] machines as hard as I do. The driver is still good just needs about $5 worth of rectifier diodes soldered back on. When I talked to Wainti (yes they actually spoke to me, real humans and everything) he said it failed where it should have to protect itself and it is an easy fix. They offered to do the repair for free even though it was my fault but the shipping costs back and forth to china was 50% of the cost of the driver. Nothing I can't do myself.

Jay

Back